Five Holiday Gift Ideas That Aren't "Things"

maybe your mom doesn't want another sweater...

370

Come Christmas season there is always a craze about wish lists, holiday shopping and finding the best deals. Department stores are packed to the brim with useless trinkets, all marketed as "The Perfect Holiday Gift For __". Commercials on TV are all followed by some irritating jingle, reminding you of the holiday discount at __. While some of this may be attributed as festive, there comes a point when enough is enough. If there is a person in your life particularly hard to buy for, or just someone special, you may find it helpful to get them one of these gifts that isn't an "thing"...

1. An Experience

How many years in a row have you gotten your Dad a tie for Christmas? Your mom another sweater? As much as they claim to love it, perhaps they would enjoy something else...something they will remember more than a sweater. After all, its the things we do that we remember, not the things we own. Things as simple as a pedicure date for your mom, or tickets to a baseball game with your Dad. Bowling with your younger sister? Taking your little brother to the history museum to see the dinosaurs? These will show a lot more thought on your part, and are much more meaningful.

2. A Donation.

This is particularly good for people you don't know as well, or people you aren't sure what they'd like. Placing a donation in someone's name to a charity that you know they care about, is a very poignant gesture. This is not only helpful to the charity donated to, but the person receiving the gift will likely feel proud as well.

3. A Playlist.

Agreed, this may not be the best option if the person receiving it was expecting an actual gift, but if the person wasn't really expecting anything from you, this is a low cost (and by low cost, I mean free) way to show someone you were thinking about them, and that you care about them.

4. Flowers or a Plant.

I don't think these fall under the category of "things" since they are living. These make excellent presents, as they are literally, gifts that keep on giving.

5. Freshly Baked Food

This also does not count as a "thing" because I'm talking about food you can't buy at the store. People will be so thankful and feel so special if you deliver freshly baked treats to them for Christmas. It's a great way to show you care without falling into the holiday retail trap.

So there you have it! Five ideas for holiday presents that aren't "things"! I hope this gave you some ideas!