Born on a holiday? I'm so sorry

Holiday Birthdays Are The Worst Birthdays

People spend my birthday counting down until it's over.

217
everypixel.com

Everyone knows that birthdays in December are the worst because your "special day" gets lost in the mix of holiday festivities. You get your birthday gifts wrapped in Christmas paper, and more times than not those gifts are combined birthday and Christmas presents. And while it's always a blessing to be given anything at all, it sure does stink to have your birthday overlooked.

I was born on December 31st, New Year's Eve. As everyone always reminds me, every birthday is a big party. While that may be true that the whole world is celebrating the day I was born, they most certainly are not celebrating because it is my birthday. I most certainly wouldn't expect them to be, but it would be nice to have a day all to myself. All of my friends, except for one who shares her birthday with Valentine's Day, get a random day of the year to celebrate their birthdays. That one day is their day. All of our friends come together to celebrate their birthday and that random day isn't so random anymore. In my case, my birthday isn't just an ordinary day turned special.

Everyone gets together to celebrate the New Year and while my birthday is acknowledged by many people the number of times I have been asked, "What are you doing for New Years?" or "Do you want to come over to my house for NYE?" is too many to count. People simply forget that this big, exciting holiday is also my birthday. Now had I been born a month earlier or later, those questions would be, "What are you doing for your birthday?" or "Do you want me to have everyone over at my house to celebrate your birthday?"

As much as I hate that my birthday is on New Year's Eve, I can not say that I have ever had an unpleasant birthday experience. I may wish that my birthday was truly all about me, but my closest family and friends never fail to make me feel loved and appreciated. And my 21st birthday will certainly be a good time. A birthday is a birthday and I'm just lucky to have one, even if other people spend the day counting down until its over.