Why Hockey Is The Superior Sport

Why Hockey Is The Superior Sport

He shoots, he scores!

81
Why Hockey Is The Superior Sport

I have never been a very “sporty” person. I played a few sports growing up, but nothing too exciting. I never really enjoyed watching sports either. I still don’t understand football even after being in the marching band for almost eight years. Soccer and baseball are too slow, and basketball is just boring. The only sport that I could ever tolerate watching is gymnastics, but who could blame me? Who wouldn’t want to be able to do flips and be able to bend like a contortionist? Although I find myself on my phone, more often than not, at most sporting events, there is one sport that I can’t turn away from (literally and figuratively): ice hockey!

For as long as I can remember, I have always loved hockey. My parents are hockey fanatics, and they raised two hockey junkies. Personally, I am a Washington Capitals fan, at least for the NHL. For the AHL, my top pick goes to the Hershey Bears! There is so much excitement on the ice and in the arena. Hockey gets your adrenaline going. Your heart races and sweat drips from your brow. A little competition and tons of charisma make the perfect game hockey! If you don’t believe me, here is the perspective of a die-hard hockey fan.

1.You literally can’t take your eyes off of the ice.

This is important, especially for teenagers who can never seem to get their eyes off of their phones. Hockey is a very competitive game, and on occasion, pucks will go flying over the boards and into the crowd. So, quite literally, you should be keeping your eye on the ice. Otherwise, hockey is a very hectic sport. Players can switch out during play, unlike most sports where players can only switch during time outs or breaks. Players fly around the ice, knocking each other into the boards. If that isn’t something that catches your eye, I don’t know what will.

2. Fights are awesome!

Yes, I am a girl, and yes, I think hockey fights are awesome. Most fans would agree. When a fight breaks out on the ice, people are jumping out of their seats, screaming and chanting for more. “Get him” and “punch him harder” are just a few phrases you might hear blasting from the crowd. True hockey fans tend to get a little overexcited about fights, but it’s OK. After a fight dies down, so does the crowd (unless the ref makes a bad call).

3. Hockey fans are always down for a good time.

Hockey fans are always pumped up before the game even starts. Everyone has their jerseys, cowbells, puck heads and vuvuzelas! Hockey fans cheer louder than anyone else. When a goal is scored, everyone is up and out of their seats, screaming and high-fiving one another. When a bad call is made, the arena thunders with boos. Hockey fans are loyal to their teams. We bang on the glass as a sign of encouragement. We wail and scream and shout and cheer, and no one can shut us up!

4. Hockey players AND hockey fans follow traditions!

One of the most well-known hockey traditions is the hat trick. A hat trick occurs when a single player's scores three goals in one game. When this happens, fans throw their hats, flooding the ice with caps. Another tradition in hockey is the “playoff beard.” This is mostly done by the players, but some loyal fans will follow suit. If a team enters the playoff, the players won’t shave their beards until the playoff has ended. It is a superstition among the ice hockey community. It is looked at to be very unlucky to shave your beard during the playoff.

5. This sport is fast, wild and unpredictable!

Hockey is extremely fast-paced. Still to this day, I remember my middle school gym teacher telling us that a hockey puck can reach speeds of over 100 miles per hour. I didn’t believe it could be possible, but when you’ve actually watched a game, you can believe it. That puck moves so fast that as quick as you found it, it’s gone again. Being on skates, hockey players have increased speeds, compared to other sports. Fights are common, but can spark over nothing. It could be from someone hitting you from behind, taking a cheap shot or talking smack. And every fight is different. Some fights are simple; they fight until someone hits the ice, and then it’s over. Other times, fights get a little out of hand and someone gets ejected from the game. You never know what to expect going into a hockey game, but you can expect some wild moments, for sure.

Hockey is a very physical sport. It is also unique in its own ways: players use skates to maneuver around the ice, they use pucks instead of balls, and fighting is allowed (well, not technically, but it happens enough that it might as well be). There is nothing slow about hockey. It keeps you on the edge of your seat, and you can’t help but be excited watching the game. If you don’t believe me, go watch a game. You won’t be disappointed!