The History Of Valentine's Day

The History Of Valentine's Day

Why do we celebrate this holiday?

43
The History Of Valentine's Day
Pixels Talk

As Valentine's Day is vastly approaching us some of you may be wondering why we even celebrate such a holiday.

It's a day that people around the world exchange candy, flowers and gifts with their loved ones, but why do we do this?

It actually turns out this holiday is centuries old and from ancient Roman rituals to the customs of Victorian England.

What's also crazy about this holiday is approximately 150 million Valentine's Day cards are exchanged annually, making Valentine's Day the second most popular card-sending holiday after Christmas.

The Catholic Church recognizes at least three different saints named Valentine or Valentinus, all of whom were martyred.

One legend says that Valentine was a priest who served during the third century in Rome.

Emperor Claudius II decided that single men made better soldiers than those with wives and families, he outlawed marriage for young men.

Valentine, realizing the injustice of the decree, defied Claudius and continues to perform marriages for young lovers in secret.

When Valentine's actions were discovered, Claudius ordered that he be put to death.

Other stories say that Valentine may have been killed for attempting to help Christians escape harsh Roman prisons, where they were often beaten and tortured.

According to one legend, an imprisoned Valentine actually sent the first "valentine" greeting himself after he fell in love with a young girl, possibly the jailor's daughter, who visited him during his confinement.

Before his death, it is alleged that he wrote her a letter signed "From your Valentine," an expression that is still in use today.

The truth behind the Valentine legends is foggy, the stories all emphasize his appeal as a sympathetic, heroic and romantic figure.

All facts come from history.com. If you learned something new please share!