The Hipster Ideals

The Hipster Ideals

If EVERYONE is a Hipster can ANYONE be a Hipster?

520
The Hipster Ideals

Here at Emerson College, we love to pride ourselves on our individuality, but somehow being surrounded by other individuals all day long—in a way—conforms us. This isn't to say that we lack identity, but rather, our identities often cross-over and overlap with one another. We often adopt traits from each other, and eventually our hipster-ness evolves into a counter-hipster-ness, which is somehow still deemed as hipster.

So what exactly is a “hipster”? Well, according to Urban Dictionary, a hipster is defined as “a subculture of men and women typically in their 20s and 30s that value independent thinking, counter-culture, progressive politics, an appreciation of art and indie rock, creativity, intelligence, and witty banter.”

Around campus, many of these hipster-worthy traits are evident. While walking along the sidewalks, it is nearly impossible to avoid the bicyclists that choose not to drive for environmental reasons (mostly air pollution), or the abundance of students walking to the pace of their favorite independent artists. Students in classes regularly discuss their niche stylistic preferences and underground artists, and often speak of their aspirations regarding future works and endeavors. Theories of philosophical and psychological constructs are applied to works of literature and seminar courses. Young adults lined up in the hallways and stairwells between classes can typically be observed debating political issues, and—for the most part—have the same attitude when Trump's name is broached in casual conversation.

Either way, choosing to actively participate in the hipster aesthetic, or making the acute choice to distance yourself from it, makes you a hipster. The only potential way to remain devoid of hipster-ness is to remain neutral and passive, but in the process, your thoughts are suppressed and unheard.

With the convergence of culture and counter-culture, it is almost impossible to differentiate the popular culture. CBS recently conducted a poll mapping out the top 20 most hipster cities in American, where Sommerville, Massachusetts ranked 6th and Cambridge was voted in 4th. Perhaps by being constantly surrounded with hipster culture, or hipster counter-culture, every college student will eventually dissipate and oneness will ultimately transpire.

This conformity that we fight effortlessly to emancipate ourselves from has become the new norm, as individualism is trumped by the everlasting ideals of a collective and conformist society.