HIIT It and Quit It

HIIT it and quit it.

Like politics, religion, sex, and a taboo topic I find should be added to the list...the gym. Someone starts talking about it, and everyone is thinking, “Oh you workout? Great, no one cares…” Maybe we shouldn’t talk about it, but in reality our appearance dominates our daily thoughts. So, yeah, let's talk about it.

A college student does not pick up an issue of the Odyssey with intentions of changing their less-than-healthy diet of whatever is free or within reach, but I would like to share one of the coolest and most accessible fitness routines I’ve experienced. I confess I work out. I like looking good, and neuroscientists insist that exercise is good for you physically and mentally, so for me it’s not about dieting or being skinny.

Whether you eat healthy and workout "on the reg" or couldn’t care less about food or exercise, we all want to look good. While most of us fall somewhere in the middle, where we might workout once a month and consider Chick-Fil-A to be a well-balanced meal, our biggest excuse is time. The idea of going to the gym is daunting and 45 minutes on the elliptical or whatever just doesn’t seem like it’s worth the effort. Quite frankly, going to the gym can be boring, and I am always willing to try something new. Which is exactly what I found in a little thing called BodyRock.

Ladies and gents, I introduce to you BodyRock, or “dailyhiit.com,” as it is now more officially named. I came across BodyRock when it was still in its YouTube infancy and have followed it with enthusiasm as it has gained popularity with celebrities like Beyonce. HIIT stands for high intensity interval training, and it combines everything you would want in a workout. It focuses on exercises that use your own body weight so there is essentially no equipment. The workouts are only 12 minutes or less, but they are intense so it’s just about all one can handle! The trainers are adamant that HIIT is the best way to burn fat and reshape your body, not just torch calories. This is because research reveals that you don't have to work out very long to burn fat and build lean muscle, you just need to work out very hard. They post new workouts everyday, but they also offer 5, 14, and 30 day challenges to follow.

Last January I did their 30 day boot camp for the first time, and it kicked my butt...and my legs, abs, and arms, all into the best shape they’ve ever been in. Basically everyday I got an email with a high quality video, a synopsis of the moves I would be doing, and the time to set on my interval timer app. On my walk to the gym, I’d watch the video to learn my moves, which were original, but never anything too difficult or that I couldn’t modify. I would do a little 10 minute warmup since the 12 minute workout is intense right from the get go, BodyRock, stretch and then peace. I was in and out in 30 minutes, feelin’ like a boss. My results were lots of compliments, feeling good, and looking good for spring break. It’s absolutely worth a try.

Whats also cool about BodyRock is the supportive and active BodyRocker community. I urge you to go on the website and look at some of the before and after shots of recent BodyRockers and check out founder Lisa-Marie’s endless fitness motivation. Daily Hiit's website says they "empower others by example -- real people, doing real exercises -- facing the issues that life throws at us and working through them a day at a time." Sounds about right.

Trust me from experience that it really will revolutionize the way you workout, allowing you to feel more in shape after a week and start building sexy muscle in about two. It’s quick, you sweat, and you work major and minor muscle groups all at once, giving you results faster. I get the feeling that college women think that a good body comes from an hour on a treadmill and skipping breakfast, or that weights and muscle building will make them look like body builders. But this couldn't be further from the truth because if you want a good body, you gotta strengthen and lengthen muscles.

It's a twelve minute workout, no excuses not to try it. Better sore than sorry.

Besides, I’ve found a little bit of ass-kicking goes a long way.