I Have High Standards and I'm Not Ashamed

And if you're in the same boat, you shouldn't be ashamed either

10
pexels.com

I've been ambitious for all my life. From wanting to be a mom, to wanting to be the next Hilary Duff, to wanting to be famous, I've always had big dreams in mind. While those dreams do involve love and support from others, I've always put myself first. I don't want others to bring me down or limit my potential of success. That being said, some have pointed out my expectations and standards for myself and those around me and suggested I lower some expectations. That's just not something I am willing to do.

Being a twenty-year old girl who has never had the slightest romantic experience isn't as terrible as others make it out to be. Sure, it's very odd when others compare me to twenty-year-olds who are married, engaged, and parents (not that there is anything wrong with any of these things). However, I am setting myself up for my future. I'm a full-time student, I have an incredible internship, and I am working on building my writing portfolio. In my eyes, I'm setting myself up for greatness. I have never found that "special someone" who brings out the best in me. I hardly interact with others who could potentially be a "special someone." I'm too busy working for what I want.

I don't want to settle for somebody or something, and I don't want others settling for me. While I have high standards in nearly all aspects of my life, I'll be the first to admit that I do not measure up to my own standards. There are so many qualities of myself that I'd like to improve before I ever become close to others in my life. Should I lower my expectations and goals for myself? No way! We all have things we'd like to change and/or improve about ourselves; it comes with being human. We're not perfect, never will be, but we can fix and change our 'flaws.' And boy, do I have some fixes, changes, and improving to do.

I do not feel as though I am missing out on greatness because of the standards I hold. In fact, I feel like I'm protecting myself from disappointment. Why settle for someone or something--whether it be a friendship, a relationship, a job, or an item--when I can eventually find something worthwhile that makes me content and happy? Why settle for the first job you find when you can continue to search and land a better job in the near future? Why settle for a friend who will stab you in the back when you can enjoy the company of a real friend who shares qualities with you, like ambition for instance?

Yes, I'm single, busy, and determined. I'm strong-willed and I hold high-expectations for most aspects of life. I'm proud of the person I am, and I will continue to dedicate my time and energy to trying to find happiness now and set myself up for a future of happiness. I do not regret having standards. And if you have high standards, I hope you don't regret them either.