11 Shows And Counting

11 Shows And Counting

A journey of theater in high school

16
11 Shows And Counting
Cole Ferguson

I have performed in twelve shows since my freshman year. Every show has had its own special meaning to me and gave me memories I will never forget. No matter how much time has gone by since closing a show, the memories still have a lasting impact.

1. Children of Eden

Children of Eden was the first show I ever did in high school, so it has a significant imprint on me. I got to work with so many talented performers during this show, and we even got to perform it at Georgia Thescon in the Springer Opera House.

2. Grease

Grease was my first role in high school. It definitely was a nerve-wracking experience, but I was pushed completely out of my comfort zone in this show and got to develop a lot as an ensemble member on my off nights. I also got to bond with a lot of underclassmen and even some upperclassmen whom I now call some of my best friends. I'm talking about you CayCay.

3. Little Shop of Horrors

Little Shop of Horrors was probably my favorite show of freshmen year. This show is pretty crazy with a storyline driven by a human-eating plant. But really, I realized how emotional it was to say goodbye to a senior class when they kissed the stage at the end of this production.

4. Urinetown

Urinetown may be one of the most fun I have ever had putting on a show, and being in the ensemble was truly an unforgettable experience. We got to be crazy and sing catchy songs about pee. What's not to love?

5. Nora's Lost

This was the first play I got to perform in since coming into high school. The show is about a woman who has Alzheimer's and wanders out of her nursing home. Although the plot is very scattered much like Nora's own mind, it has such a deep importance.

6. Ghost

Ghost was a wild ride. None of us had really heard of it until Grizzle kept talking about how awesome the show is. It is based on the 90's movie with Demi Moore and Patrick Swayze. I will never forget performing on the Georgia High School Musical Theatre Awards with this amazing cast. We even won two Shuler Awards for Best Lighting Design and Best Technical Execution!

7. Oliver

Oliver was my sophomore year senior performance. Even though we all were kind of worn out from the year's previous productions, it was a thrilling show to add to my memories. Being the pregnant lady in the ensemble definitely had a weird ring to it, but sending off the class of 2016 with this show was a great finish to the year.

8. Shrek

This was the first community production I had the chance to be a part of since going into high school. Community theater was a big part of my life in middle school, and it's where I started my passion for performing. I got to meet some wonderful people of all ages and even got to bond more with one of my best friends Maggie. Shrek is one of my favorite shows, and I had a blast putting it onstage.

9. 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee

Spelling Bee was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Not only did I get to perform as one of my dream roles, but I got to do it alongside some of my best friends and peers. This show holds one of the most special places in my heart. I got to learn so much about myself as an actor and got to grow with the help of my directors and friends. Logainne Schwartzandgrubenierre is one for the books.

10. Noise, Noise, Noise!

This show was definitely a wild ride to get to bring to life. Two of my peers, Annabelle Pace and Parker Hughes, wrote this original play, cast it and directed it in our Advanced Drama class. Being the first person to ever bring my character Beth to life onstage alongside my double cast Gabby was an experience that I'll definitely look back on and smile about in the years to come.

11. Madagascar: A Musical Adventure Jr!

I didn't get to be a part of the children's show my sophomore year, but I am so grateful I had the chance to take part in it this year. Seeing all the kids' faces that got to come watch us perform was inspiring. Some of them told us that they wanted to do theater when they got to high school, and I remember being in their shoes so many years ago. As performers, we don't do this for ourselves. We do it for the audiences.

Currently, I am working on Leap of Faith, Fame, and going to be starting Rosie the Riveter soon! I am so thankful for my amazing directors, Kirk Grizzle and Joni Smithwick, who have encouraged me so much these past three years. It's crazy to look back and count how many shows I've done only in high school, and I hold special memories with each individual rehearsal, performance and cast party that went on for these productions.