Highlights Of The First 2020 Presidential Debate
News

I'm not sure the majority of America took away anything from last night besides maybe a headache.

17
CNN.com

I'm not sure anyone was thrilled watching last night's debate between President Trump and Former Vice President Joe Biden. In case you missed it, you didn't miss much, but here are some key highlights from the event.

Chris Wallace of Fox News moderated the debate extremely poorly. He failed to keep the candidates on topic and to not interrupt each other. At times, it truly felt like more a debate between the president and Wallace. So much for Wallace staying invisible.

They first talked about the Supreme Court. President Trump took the stance that as president, he is elected for four years, not three years, so he has every right to nominate and choose Amy Coney Barrett to replace late Associate Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg on the Supreme Court. Biden believes the American people should get to choose who replaces Ginsburg so the replacement should wait until after the election.

Biden refused to answer if he would pack the Supreme Court. This is in reference to a proposal that would increase the number of seats on the Supreme Court. Biden answered this question instead by urging Americans to vote.

On the topic of the coronavirus pandemic, Biden claims that Trump is the reason more than 200,00 Americans have died from the virus. Trump believes that if Biden was in control of the country during this time that there would be closer to two million people dead. Trump points out how Biden called him racist and xenophobic when he blocked people from China entering the country back in February and how people say that move alone probably saved thousands of lives.

Other takeaways were Trump being questioned if he paid $750 in federal income tax for 2016 and 2017. Trump responded that the statement was false because he paid millions of dollars in taxes. Trump also said one year he paid $38 million and another year he paid $27 million in taxes.

On the topic of law and order, Biden made a comment saying that Antifa is an idea, not an organization.

The candidates also talked about the integrity of the upcoming election since many people will be voting my mail. Biden claims there is zero evidence of fraud happening while Trump stated that voting will be a disaster. He continued on to say that there is clear evidence of fraud in which people are receiving more than one ballot and other ballots have been found in the trash or in creeks.

In the midst of the "debate" if you can even call it that, there were a ton of interruptions by both candidates and a lot of name-calling about each other's intelligence and families.

The next presidential debate will take place on Oct. 15 in Miami and will be moderated by Steve Scully, a political editor at C-SPAN.