To The High School Teacher Who Was Always There

Thank you for always lending an ear when I really needed to be heard.

18

I'm going to be perfectly honest. There isn't too much that I miss from high school. In the nearly two years since graduation, much of my high school life has faded into distant memory. While I'm glad to have moved on from that part of my life, there are a few people and memories from high school that I'll likely never forget. And that's where this story begins.

I think that everyone has at least one teacher from their high school life that they can look back to and say for sure that they left an impact on their life. To the teacher in my life that was that teacher, I want to say thank you.

Thank you for always taking the time to listen. There were mornings where I just needed to be heard and afternoons where I was just burnt out. No matter what the instance, I could always count on your support and advice to get me through the day. Whatever struggle I would be enduring, your kind and supportive words would give me the momentum I needed to work my way to the end.

Thank you for opening your classroom when I needed to step away from the craziness of the school. Every free period and early morning through my last year and a half, I knew I could step into your room when I wanted a break from the madness.

Thank you for the long, meaningful discussions that could have spanned several hours if we'd had the time. Everything from academic struggles to drama with friends, to helping me with the future, you were always there. I appreciate the extra effort you always took to give me feedback.

Thank you for always making me laugh. Whether it was intentional or not, you always managed to have the perfect response when I needed to laugh a little. Laughter is the best medicine, and I always felt better after laughing and decompressing for a moment.

Finally, thank you for all the amazing memories that I've taken with me since I left. All the laughs, memories, grades, and jokes that were made in your classroom still resonate with me after all this time. I haven't forgotten the support you gave me in high school, and I never will. I miss you.

From the college student that will never forget, thanks so much. You made high school a better place.