To My Fellow High School Seniors, I Know, We Deserve WAY More Than A Virtual Graduation Ceremony

Heartbreak, fear, and constant emotions building up during this global pandemic.

1084
Scott Olson / Getty Images

First things first, as a high school senior and in the class of 2020, I am going through it as well.

Everyone's high school career seems to be a rollercoaster. It is a slow incline of weeks, but a fast downhill slide when the months begin to fly by.

All of the hard work and constant dedication over the years is for the moment when you have finally reached the top. Senior year is what makes everything worth it.

The year in and of itself is full of emotions doing everything for the last time such as games, dances, and just simply walking down the halls once more. Crazy to think of never being able to get that "last time."

The class of 2020 is experiencing the unimaginable.

Personally, on March 13, I went to school just like any other day. We were planning for our senior prom which was in a couple of weeks to come. That was the only thing that was on everyone's' minds.

What we didn't know is that we should've been saying our goodbyes, because that was our last day of high school ever.

It feels as though we have been running the same race for years and see the finish line, but are never able to cross it.

'Senioritis' is very real and active throughout the senior class during the second semester, but now we all are just praying every night to be able to get one more day of it.

If we don't, all of the teachers, peers, and the building that has shaped us into the people we have become will be left without a word.

I have always been told that it will all be worth it in the end.

When I walk across the stage and hold my diploma in my hand, I will sigh in relief to validate the fact that everything I have done throughout the years has had a purpose.

To think that I have constantly pushed myself to reach the top, and an unimaginable global pandemic is ripping all of it away absolutely shatters my heart.

I should be at the top of the rollercoaster at the highest point in my high school career. I should be rushing through that finish line screaming, "I did it, mom!" I should be able to have the finale that everyone dreams about.

I deserve a senior prom. I deserve a senior night. I deserve a senior graduation.

I deserve this and so does every member in the class of 2020.

As an Amazon Affiliate partner, Odyssey may earn a portion of qualifying sales.