High School Freshman Survival Guide 101

High School Freshman Survival Guide 101

High School can be terrifying, but it doesn't have to be.

2916
High School Freshman Survival Guide 101
Unsplash

The High School Survival Guide: Freshmen Year

Four years ago, I walked into high school for the very first time. I was all decked out in my new uniform - freshly-ironed khakis and a loose black polo - and shaking to the core. I had no idea what to think about my new environment, but I knew that I was scared to death.

Now as a high school graduate, I'm no longer that small, scared freshmen. I'm stronger, smarter, and even a little bit taller (a big deal for me!). I learned a lot during my freshmen year of high school, and these are just a few.

1. Gym class is going to suck. Big-time.

Gym class during high school was terrible, to put it simply. My teacher was a Cross-fit addict, and she decided to treat us as though we were in a cross-fit class. Now, I am not an athletic person. I'm far from being in shape physically, and I'm possibly the worst player when it comes to any sport. At my school, we had to change into a specific uniform for gym class - the ugliest outfit EVER. Snot-green shorts, grey shirt... definitely not attractive.

I fell down countless times during gym class and felt like I was going to die just about every class. I hated that class, yet I have some of my favorite memories with a good friend of mine whom I met in that class. Find a friend who you can laugh with, and you can have someone to suffer with.

2. You may not be an athlete - and that's okay!

Coming into high school, I was determined to make a name for myself. At my small high school, the only opportunities you had were either athletic or academic. I wasn't exactly the smartest girl in school, so that left me with athletics. I attempted to work and join the volleyball team with a friend, but I quickly failed. In fact, I failed so bad that I somehow managed to get a ball stuck in the air-conditioner unit in the ceiling of the gym - oops.

After volleyball, I decided to try out for Cross-Country. Once again, this was not my thing. One moment at practice, I felt faint and got dehydrated, and went home throwing up. Not my best moment for sure.

I quickly realized that I was not meant to be an athlete, and I was okay with that. I found somewhere else that I felt like I could be myself, and not pass out doing it.

3. People come and go.

Those who are your closest friends during freshman year, may not be there during your senior year. Although I met some of my best friends that year, I honestly cannot remember who I associated with in my classes. Over the past four years, I've gained and lost quite a few friends, but that's a part of life. It hurts, but you'll get through it.

4. Your class-rank during Freshman Year isn't very important.

Honestly, I can't remember what number I was in the class rank during my high school years. I knew I wasn't in the top ten, and I wasn't the last person in the class, but that's about it. In my school, people made a big deal about their ranks, but honestly? It doesn't matter very much. Sure, during Senior Year, it holds a little bit more weight as far as scholarships go, but as for everything else? It's only a number.

5. High School isn't forever.

My time in high school was not my favorite. I didn't enjoy it very much, but I tried to make the most of it. The time spent in high school goes by very quickly and you'll be graduating before you know it!