Life's Game of Hide and Seek

Life's Game of Hide and Seek

Playing the game of hide and seek throughout life.

498

Like many people, hide and seek was my favorite game to play as a child. Crawling under beds, wedging our bodies into tiny cabinets, camouflaging ourselves into clothes hanging in the closet, a fairly simple and universal game. But maybe it's more than just a game, maybe it's reflective of our lives? And maybe that's why we all love it so much?

There are two people in this world, those who enjoy hiding, and those who do not. And we all act as both at one time or another:

I sometimes act as the non-enjoyable hider, hiding from my true feelings or true emotions. Hiding from the tough stuff life throws at me, like when I'm frustrated and don't know what to do with my life. I feel as if this hits the hardest in high school and college since you have so much to think about and so much pressure on you. You have to decide where you want to go to school, what you want to major in, what you want your career to be, or maybe what graduate programs you need for that career, etc. Sometimes I just want to curl up in a ball and hide from society, escape from all of these emotions and decisions.

But sometimes, I act as the enjoyable hider, the one who seeks new discoveries, tries new things, solves problems and perseveres, and just enjoys the game of life. I understand that making all of these future decisions is stressful and intense, but I slow down to enjoy the process. I take things one step at a time, have fun with my friends, and know that one day it will all be over, so why not appreciate it while it lasts?

We all eventually become the seeker time and time again, the in-between stage. The place in life where one project ends, and one begins. This could be graduation, the start of a new relationship or even marriage, and so much more, depending on what you classify it as.

We all go through the game of life, but metaphorically, we all play a huge game of hide and seek periodically throughout our lives, which is something new that you all should think about.