The Everyday Hidden Heroes We Should Thank More

Thinking of those that help us day to day.

12
Erica Smay

On our recent vacation, I was enlightened to remember those occupations that contain heroes in disguise. Here's how it started.

We embark on our journey and after 3 hours on the road, the car begins shaking. Hmm seems like a flat tire to us. Pulling along side of a busy interstate is not always ideal, but there was no other choice. After giving the tires a look, they seemed fine. Something was still off when we went to drive. We located the problem and knew we could not get back on the road. It was time to call for a tow truck. What a start to vacation, right?

After patiently waiting, the tow truck driver arrived. You could tell he had already had a busy day as we were near a big city. He was extremely kind and willing to help in every way possible. On the way to the car shop, we got to talking. Instead of complaining how this could slow us down or let it ruin our moods, we found ways to be thankful. Our tow truck driver helped with this as he mentioned that the tire was so bad that had we drove much further, it easily could have fallen off. The tire may have caused an accident or our car could have flipped. We exchanged words of gratefulness. One thing that stuck in my head is when he said "I know this is an unfortunate event for you, but it is really nice to be able to help some people." He went on to say how towing empty cars isn't the joy of his job. It is helping those who run into vehicle breakdowns and being able to get people where they need to go. He really did become my hero of the day.

If you've ever had an empty car towed, you know that feeling of disgust when going to the impound to get it back. This is just the downside of towing trucks jobs. It was nice to be reminded of how helpful they can be. It got me to thinking of all the other hidden heroes.

Of course we always want to think of our veterans and anyone actively in duty. Thank you for fighting for our country. We have police men and women and firefighters that also risk their lives on duty serving the people of the world. Thank you. Consider our doctors and nurses, wanting nothing more than to heal our pain. The teachers that give us wisdom and knowledge to learn and grow. They show us behavioral etiquette and deliver patience to help better the school systems. What about those who build our houses, make our clothing, grow our food? Each and every one of these workers are a special part of our daily lives. From the factories to the fields. These essentials in life would not be possible without you. And for that, I thank you.

It is so easy to hear the word hero and think of the movies. These strong, invincible characters. Really all of us can be heroes though, looking out for one another. Dump truck drivers desposing carefully of our trash; post office workers getting us important mail on time. We appreciate you. Grocery store greeters, bank tellers, caregivers, babysitters, nursing home workers. Each bring a special skill to the table. No occupation should ever feel that they aren't enough. Without each individual talent, our country would not function as it does. Whether you're in the office or on the field, you deserve a big thank you. Delivering service with a smile can go a long way.

In even some of the most unfortunate circumstances, we can find the good. Thank you tow truck driving hero for sharing your time and good attitude with my family. It sure made a bad situation seem like a piece of cake. Keep giving your service with that smile!

As you go out today, think of all the hidden heros. Remember to thank them because not every day will be easy. And you never know when you too may be inspiring someone else.