Hidden Gem Courses At Syracuse That You Need To Take

If you have free electives within the next (however many) years, then I would highly recommend taking any or all of these courses.

5991
syracuse

As a junior Newhouse and Maxwell student at Syracuse University, I have had the fortunate experience of having a lot of leniency with course requirements and electives I can take. Over the past three years, I have compiled a list of courses that I absolutely adored, and I have now decided to share that list with the public. If you have free electives within the next (however many) years, I would highly recommend taking any or all of these courses.

1. Intro to Public Policy (PAF 101)

Although this isn't the easiest course you will ever take, it is by far the most beneficial. Professor Coplin will teach you things about life that you will take far beyond your college experience and into your real life. Through lectures that are actually engaging, you will learn the immense value of community service, public policy and "doing good."

2. Russian Literature (LIT 226 & 227)

I know this sounds tedious and horrible, but if you love to read, this course is absolutely amazing. I have never met a teacher who is more passionate about a subject than Professor Burak is about Russian Lit. Russian novelists write about life in a way that you have never read before. You will read classics like Anna Karenina and you will love them. The class is always very small, and Professor Burak will make you feel like a genius even if you give basic, elementary input, she encourages you to speak up through positivity and enthusiasm -- and it works. You won't regret taking this class.

3. The Judicial Process (PSC 304)

This class is awesome. It should, however, be renamed "Criminal Justice" because that's essentially what it is. Trunfio is a criminal prosecutor and spends most of his lectures telling you about real cases he worked on and sometimes showing you photos from the crime scenes. If you enjoy crime shoes, then you should definitely take this class. You will also learn a little bit about your rights and the justice system, which is extremely valuable.

4. Living Writers (ETS 107)

Although this class can sometimes be a little boring, it is still pretty interesting to personally meet the novels you are discussing in class. In all honesty, this class is an easy A. You write a reflection paper and read novels that are rarely more than 300 pages. The majority of the work lies in sitting through a live interview with the authors every other week.

5. Presentational Speaking (CRS 325)

This class is so much fun if you're not terrified of public speaking. It requires minimal effort, and if you become close with your classmates, then it can be a lot of fun. My professor used to play icebreaker games with our class like "Two Truths and a Lie" and "What's in my box?" which was such a nice break from my regular class work. It also teaches you the basics of public speaking, which is something everyone should really know.

6. Slavery and Abolition (AAS 402)

This class has a lot of work and assignments, but it is so incredibly interesting. I thought I knew about the slave trade before taking this class, but I had no idea. I left this class actually feeling like I had learned something valuable about history that I could speak intelligently about, which I am forever grateful for.

7. Nutrition in Health (NSD 225)

This class is a little bit hit or miss, depending on your professor, but I needed to add it because I learned so much about eating healthy and nutrition, in general, which was important for my life specifically (I eat terribly).

There you have it! If you have taken any of these courses before, or want to recommend some awesome classes to your peers, please share this article!