Boone, I'm Blessed To Have You

Boone, I'm Blessed To Have You

"Where we love is home, home that our feet may leave, but not our hearts." -Oliver W. Holmes

24
Boone, I'm Blessed To Have You
Casey Ross

People say that if you are sad about leaving your college town, you chose the right school. They're absolutely right. I believe that a big part of being a college student is searching for and finding our "home away from home." Luckily for me, my home away from home became Boone and the amazing school that is located in this small town.

Here are the most important reasons why Boone is my home away from home.

The Town

Boone always makes me feel at home, no matter if I am there for one hour or one month. I feel safe in Boone's environment and have a sense of belonging. Whether I'm having a bad or good day, whether it is raining, snowing or it's the perfect weather, the atmosphere always gives me a reason to be thankful that I am there.

The Convenience

Both the campus and the town are convenient. Living in a dorm my first year was a good start to having the college experience everyone talks about. It was great to have my best friends living next to me, a couple doors down, or just on the other side of campus. I loved that everything on campus is walking distance: dorms, academic buildings, Central, the library, bookstore, market, Student Union, gym(s), and stadium.. especially for game days.

I used to think that my hometown was small... but then I lived in Boone. It is a small – and I mean small – town and everything is usually less than fifteen minutes away only because of traffic. There are many restaurants surrounding campus that most students will walk instead of driving. -the parking in Boone is horrible anyways- When you're hungry at 2 am, there is always Cookout or Waffle House; when you need a dress for a formal event, there is Tj Maxx, Boone Belles and Anna Banana's; when you need more school supplies and/or food at a cheaper price, there is always Wal-Mart. King Street is also one of the biggest attractions to Boone and is filled with stores and restaurants, while being the closest location to campus.

The People

When I say that the people in Boone are loving, genuine and outgoing, I mean that from the bottom of my heart. I have never met people who are happier about life and knows how to be content with what they have until I came to Boone. The small town brings everyone closer together, which makes a big difference in having a "home" feeling or just feeling that you belong somewhere amongst the crowd. A smile goes a long way and the people of Boone will always have a smile on their face.

My People

One of the biggest and meaningful reasons Boone became my home away from home is because of my people. "My people" has become a phrase that is used to point out who your best friends are. I am so lucky to have found the greatest friends in this town and there are no words to describe how much they mean to me. They have been there for my worst days, but even more important, my greatest days. My friends are the best people I know and they bring so much happiness, love and laughter into my life.

I miss you all so much and I can't wait to see y'all again. Be prepared for hugs and kisses.

The Mountains

If you don't already know, the mountains are a huge part of Boone and Appalachian State. It's about a 15-minute drive to get to the parkway, but the view and the drive is always worth it. If you're lucky enough, you can live in an apartment that already has a view of the mountains. I love being in love with sunsets and sunrises, and I am always in awe of the mountains and the beautiful scenery that I have seen at overlooks or from a friends' apartment. How lucky are we to have the Blue Ridge Parkway as our backyard right?

The School

Appalachian State University is the best school I could attend and get a full college experience from. The campus is small but big enough, where you will see the same faces on your walks to class, which gives a sense of familiarity among the 18,000+ students that go here.

The football games are such great experiences and the tailgating is phenomenal, especially when you are surrounded by alumni and fans who aren't students.

There are 400+ clubs and organizations so that students can find their place here. Greek Life is a great asset to the school, as well as to the students who decide to join the active organizations. Student Government Association does all they can to make sure voices get heard and decisions and inputs are followed through. APPS provides amazing entertainment for all students with different taste in music.

Professors will take their time to help and guide you through their class and any problems you have, and there are so many resources to help with tutoring or finding what major and/or career best suits you.

Last but not least, Appalachian State provides a sense of home, belonging and happiness for me, and I hope the same for all the students that attend. I will always be thankful for that.

Hi-Hi-y-ike us, Nobody likes us, We are the Mountaineers

Always a-winning, Always a-grinning, Always a-feeling fine, You bet hey!

da da da da da daGo Apps!

da da da da da da Fight Apps!

da da da da Go!da da da da Fight!da da da da da da Win Apps!