A Hesitancy To Pray

A Hesitancy To Pray

Sometimes the hesitancy actually keeps us from prayer. Here are two encouragements against that hesitancy.

21
A Hesitancy To Pray
Melesmeles

One of the only downfalls of going to college was that I had to leave one of my best friends. Her name is Emily and she is one of the most incredible people I’ve ever met. I could go on and on about how she has shaped my life, molded me to become more like Christ, and pushed me to be the best version of myself and (though we both know I’ve still got a long way to go) it’s why I’m so proud to call her a friend and sister in Christ. Another reason is because way back when we were still both in high school together, she started a Bible study out of her own home.

Over the years she has spent countless nights preparing lessons, encouraging others, and searching for truth. Her hard word, dedication, and love for people has not gone unnoticed. However, I’d like to focus in on this group for a moment.

This is not a wagging finger for these wonderful people (they should all know I love them very dearly) but I would like to use them as an example. And as they read this, I‘m certain they will nod their head in absolute agreement and forgive me for “picking on them,” so here it goes…that moment when you’re asked to either open or close in prayer is JUST AWKWARD.

Why? As a Christian we often hear of the importance of prayer paired with the fact that God wants to hear our prayers, so why is it so hard to actually have people to pray out loud?

It can’t be fear of speaking in public because not even 30 seconds before and after the “studying” part of Bible study (we almost always hangout, chat, and play games for hours when we get together) people are practically yelling over each other just for normal conversation.

How could something so simple be so terrifying? What is it that holds us back from praying in front of others, or even at all on our own? Is it that we don’t feel we are good enough to speak to God? That our words are inadequate? If you’ve ever indirectly felt the weight of, or even thought these very questions then I have two thoughts I’d like to share with you.

First off, something that completely changed my own personal prayer life, is the fact that the Holy Spirit acts as a royal translator for a holy God. For whatever reason, I’ve never heard this before this previous semester. I was lucky enough to have a Professor task me with memorizing Romans Chapter 8 and I found this truth there; specifically in verses 26 and 27. The ESV translates Paul’s writings here as such, “Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words. And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.”

So it may very well be true that we are inadequate in prayer, but today I want to tell you that that is alright. It is not from your own doing but rather the Spirit intercedes for you.

My second point introduces the idea of praying like a child.

Have you ever listened to a child pray? I have, and its adorable. Of course they go through the typical standards we teach them they can pray for but often times they’ll add in their own heartfelt tangents such as “and thankyou for all the ducks God!” or “God I know you’re probably watching tv, but could make me into a mermaid when you’re done?”

Can you imagine how it would feel to be so honest, full of faith, and be as inspired as a child in your own prayers? The more I think about it, the more beautiful it sounds.

So my conclusion is this…if you’re new or hesitant to prayer, you have nothing to worry about. It’s simply talking and having a conversation with God. Your words will not be graded or mocked because the Holy Spirit translates for you. My encouragement is that you be open and honest and place your faith God, both that he hears you and listens to what you have to say. If you get stuck and feel you have nothing to say, that’s alright too (I find expressing praise and thanks to God is always an option). However, sometimes (as I’ve learned from personal experience) the best conversations don’t actually involve any talking.

Now go, be free from the hesitancy to pray.