You May Feel Blue During The Winter, But You Don't Have To Stay Inside

It’s winter time. Temperature drops, icy winds blow zero, less sunlight during the day and we may get to see snow. For some, winter may bring tranquility and peace; for others, it may just be the opposite.

The days definitely change during the winter time. One of the benefits of living in Chicago is the chance to live in every season. Each one brings amazing sceneries, which I truly enjoy! However, during the winter it seems as if some people may experience an unusually low-mood.

Have you ever found yourself feeling gloomy and cheerless during the winter months? Don’t worry, you are not the only one.

Since the days are shorter with less sunlight, the darkness increases the production of melatonin, which results in people feeling sleepier. There’s also irregular levels of serotonin and less production of Vitamin D, which could lead to depression.

This may be due to Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD), also known as “winter blues." SAD affects approximately 10 million Americans. It is a type of depression that comes with the change of season, starting in the fall months through the winter. The farther you live from the equator, the more common Seasonal Affective Disorder could be.

However, SAD diagnosis comes when the person is affected by its symptoms.

Does this ring any bells? It tends to fall on the third Monday of every January and was introduced by psychologist and life coach Cliff Arnall, bringing the first Blue Monday in 2005.

Arnall came up with a formula that combined factors including weather, debt, time passed since Christmas and New Year’s resolutions. Blue Monday was originated after he was trying to boost the sales for a travel agency.

But don’t let the winter blues get you! Winter doesn’t have to bring gloominess. It’s up to you to make the most out of it! Keep reading for some tips to follow and bright up your freezy days.

1. Get more lighting.

There is limited sun during this time of the year, so when it comes out, try to spend some time outside. Being by the window or even having a bright light in the room will work as well. And, of course, sleep well during the night!

2. Remain active and take care of your social life.

If you have the chance, go to the gym or do some exercises at home. Keep yourself busy at work or school, and spend time with your family and friends.

3. Keep a healthy diet as well.

After a cold day, all you may want to do is go back home to drink a warm coffee with some delicious apple pie. Delight in the sweets, but keep a balance. Include apples, vegetables and healthy food in your meals.

4. Go out!

You may want to stay in your cozy bed drinking hot chocolate and watching your favorite series. But, as appealing as it may sound, go out and enjoy the lovely day that is today!

Don’t forget to enjoy the winter! Build a snowman, bake chocolate chip cookies, go skiing or visit a park and enjoy its trees. Greet the winter with a huge smile, and it will smile back at you!