Here's What Happened When I Fell in Love With My Best Friend

The Story of Unrequited Love, Office Style

36

Ooh it just me, myself and I, solo ride until I die 'cause I got me for life...I sing to myself, the strong independent woman that doesn't need the support of a man--that is until I meet the short, dark and handsome co-worker that makes my heart flutter with the flash of his smile. We talk everyday, have lunch together every other day and I've taken him home on several occasions so we've become really good friends--best friends in fact.

Eventually I start to forget the words to that G-Eazy song and I fill my mind with only one thing, HIM. Will I see HIM when he comes in? Will HE have lunch with me today? Will I get to gaze at HIS stark green eyes at least once today? Then it hits me, damn I just fell in love with my best friend.

At this point I've already consulted with the "experts" who told me that work relationships never work out and he has a girlfriend that I have never seen. I hoped and prayed obsessively this was not true but I DARE not ask him. Don't want him to get any ideas I've been staking him out. Instead of filling my head with worry and doubt I decided to give myself a healthy dose of daily daydreaming (As if this man didn't make me high enough, who needs drugs?) I went from daydreaming only in the late afternoons to drifting into this state of ecstasy after seeing or speaking to him on a daily basis.

I figured the reality of dating would be a long shot since he was only 5'7 and I was over six feet tall. Have you seen how this looks? In today's society the man is always taller than the woman. That is the right way but it wasn't MY way. I really didn't care that he was shorter than me as long as I got to see his face that made my day no matter how bad it was.

At one point I nearly reached my breaking point when he and I had an "incident". The manager asked me to help him put a display together. So he was kneeling down putting the display together from the bottom up. He asked me to hand him the parts since I was standing up. We nearly finished the display when I tried handing him a large end cap and I fell. He caught me but we ended up on the floor--I fell on top of him.

Our eyes met and wave of emotion just hit me. My mind was rushing and my cheeks felt flushed. (I was told my cheeks turned purple..I didn't know black people blush!) I went home in a daze and that night had a dream he and I did the dirty. Of course I woke up with a smile.

This was getting out of hand, I had to tell him how I felt no matter the cost so I devised a plan. I would confess my love for him when he clocked out the end of the day that Thursday. I rehearsed over and over again how and what I would say. I also wore lipstick that day hoping I would have it rubbed off by our passionate kiss.

Well that day came, I approached him as he strolled towards the time clock. As my heart raced I told him I had something to say. His response, "Just a minute Evon I have to call my girlfriend to pick me up." My heart sank, he spoke briefly to her and ended it with an "I love you." "Now what where you saying?" Me: "Oh I just wanted to tell you good night". Him: "Oh good night".

I had a lump in my throat then I started berating myself, "You should have known better, you're a dumba**, you fell for it." His girlfriend came inside and from behind the counter I gave her the finger...of course she never saw it.

I'm starting to remember the words to that song again: Solo ride until I die...especially when you've been friend zoned.