Here's to You, Big Brother

Here's to You, Big Brother

How'd I get so fortunate to have your stubborn self as my big brother?

60
Here's to You, Big Brother
DeAnn Reese

Hey Buddy,

I wanted to start off by saying how annoying you are and how easily you get under my skin. I mean, if there was a contest to see who knew the most ways to make me mad, you'd go home with the grand prize.

I'll never forget the years of torture I endured as you'd push me around until I'd bite you. Of course I'd still end up crying to mom as I'd put all the blame on you. Oops! I also can't forget to mention the winter months before school when we'd fight over who got to sit in front of the heater. Inevitably, mom would get upset and make us share the heater; or even worse, she'd make us sit knee-to-knee and say three things we loved about each other. (Your hair, your shoes, your shirt- heaven forbid we'd say something meaningful, right?)

But then you left for college.

My first reaction was "heck yeah, I get the space heater and the tv and all the food to myself!" People would ask me if I'd miss you and I'd respond with a resounding "NO!" But I think I knew all along I'd miss you- just a little bit.

After you were gone, things just weren't the same. When I was mad, I'd have to take it out on mom, and then I'd of course always lose the battle because she was in charge of me and not my equal (we both know half the time we fought it was just to see who'd win that time; and I think we can both agree, it was me 85% of the time.)

I guess I realized that you were the only person in my life I could fight with-physically and verbally, but still be so loved by. I'd cry and tell you I hated you, and you'd tell me I was just a stuck up brat, and then an hour later when mom would try to get involved, you and I would yell at her together, forcing us to be on the same team and make up (sorry mom).

It wasn't until that I now left for college that I realized how ridiculous my love for you is. I'm not saying I didn't love you before, I did- I just didn't realize how blessed I was. You have grown up a tremendous amount, especially in the past couple of years, and I swear I find something new to be proud of you for everyday. You are incredibly smart and I wish I had your passion for the things you love. The way you are so dedicated to the Air Force makes me want to become that way towards my future career. Along with that, your dedication to the people you love is also so amazing.

You would fall on your sword for the people you love. I know you are my biggest bully, (well deserved), but also my number one fan. You feel free to call me all the names in the book, but once anyone else says something even slightly offensive about me, they'd better get moving because you won't stand for that. I remember when I was so heartbroken about a boy and you simply told me not to worry. You never liked him anyway because he drove a car you didn't like. It made me feel better because if my big brother didn't like him, he wasn't worth my time. Your approval means more to me than you know. That's exactly why someday when a man wants to get down on one knee for me, they better be getting on all fours asking you first.

So if mom would make us sit knee-to-knee one last time, I'd change up my three answers.

First, I'd make you take a shot or two for the years we never thought we'd be friends, because look at us now!

But then I would tell you that I love you because 1. You're my big brother and even though I have to love you, I actually want to. I love you because you're so passionate and strong willed. 2. I love the way you've matured into a man that not only deserves the respect of anyone and everyone, but demands it. The gal you marry won't be good enough for you- just letting you know that now because no one is good enough for my big brother. 3. I love you because you make me see the good in everyone. We are so different in so many ways and you allowed me to love people for their differences. You've never been one to be super outgoing (your words; not mine), but I see you as one of the most outgoing guys I know and I wouldn't have gotten to see that side of you if God didn't give you to me as my brother.

So please come visit me in college and keep picking on me, keep calling me to tell me silly stories, because I miss you and love you so much.

Love,

your annoying little sister