Dear Younger Me

Dear Younger Me

I am thankful for all the life lessons and the memories along the road

63
Dear Younger Me
Becca Taper

Matthew 8:26

He replied, “You of little faith, why are you so afraid?” Then he got up and rebuked the winds and the waves, and it was completely calm.

Psalms 139: 14

I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well.

As I look back on the previous years, I just sit back and laugh and also cry.

As I am getting older. Growing out of my worn out shell. Learning and molding into the Godly young lady I am today. I take a minute to reflect back on the younger days of my life. As a child. As a teen. As a wanna be adult.

A thought that came to mind is, what would I tell my younger self now? Looking back, I had a great childhood. Parents who loved me. Great friends. Always involved in something. However, worry also was present. Worrying about the future, what about college, what about learning and living on my own, doing things for myself, finding the right man – someone who will love me crazy, balancing life and the temptations, etc. You name it. We all worry about something.

So here it goes, to you

I know you must have some role model, right? I know I loved Hannah Montana and Hillary Duff. I mean… at that time who wouldn’t want to be them. It felt as if they had life figured out… wrong. They are humans and so are you. Although, it’s OK to have role models just be careful when is consumes you to wanting to become someone you are not.

Also, embrace your love for imagination, it’ll go along way. Make that tent outside. Maybe sleep on the trampoline. Grab your dads hand and have a daddy-daughter date. Those are the best. Trust me! ((Daddy’s girl))

Be creative. The playdo that you play with, be creative. The princess castle, go beyond your imagination. The spirit of creativity will serve you well my child. Never loose your creative touch.

That bird, dog, cat, etc that you are trying to draw. Don’t get frustrated. Don’t just walk away from it. You got it. You never know what your hidden talents are until you work at it.

OK, so sports. For me, I was a cheerleader and a gymnast. Whichever it is, go at it with all that you got. Remember, practice always triumphs over failure. That backhand spring. Yeah you might fall on your knees multiple times until the one out of ten times you land on your feet. YAY. Keep at it. Soon you’ll be landing perfectly ten out of ten times.

You want to be a lawyer? You’ve must have seen Legally Blonde - “Harvard Law School” That was the dream job back then. Throughout the years, your mind changes 'dream goals' multiple times regarding what you want to be when you grow up. We all do.

To those who condemn you on your choice of career path or any life decision, smile at them. It’s not their life, it’s yours. Just pray about the choices before you make them.

When it comes to pleasing people. Don’t you dare bother. Be polite and nice, of course. Never be a doormat. You cannot please everybody. Focus on you first. Make sure you are the one that is happy. You are not living for them, you are living for God.

Please God.

When you stay up to 2 a.m. in the morning because of studying, close your eyes. You need some rest. Pray.

When it comes to comparing yourself.

How uncool it is that you think you are ugly. God made you perfectly in His image.

How you wish you didn’t have freckles or the gap between your teeth. How you wish you were skinnier.

Those who pick at you for your glasses, short hair, teeth, looks, etc. how dare them. Don’t you dare let that interfere with knowing who you are in Christ and who you are as a person. You are beautiful and perfectly flawed.

You will learn to be gentle with yourself. You’ll also learn how to love the body that you are in.

And later down the road, the right guy is going to love you and think you are beautiful the way that you are.

There will be people who you won’t always agree with and that’s OK.

Let go of the need to control and manipulate–you’ll never change anything that way.

Pray instead, let God fight for His own children.

It’s not your job, it’ll never be your job. SO give it up.

Be thankful that you have a mom and dad who love you and adore you. You are their daughter. Thank your mom and dad for their unconditional support that they continue to show. Never take it for granite. They do a lot for you.

I know your parents drive you crazy sometimes. You drive them crazy too. Recognize that you’re all so different and all stubborn, and it’s usually worth just saying OK.

You’ll be on your own in time, and then you can load your dishwasher, fold your clothes, make your bead, eat when you want too, and go when you want to as infrequently as you want–for now, be respectful.

Speaking of your parents, all of their different and weird quirks? Yeah, you’ll inherit them. Embrace it sister. It will come.

I know at some point in your life you’ll experience all sorts of emotions.. all at once too, maybe. Hormones, dear lord, a lot of feelings and life itself is all too overwhelming for you to soak in sometimes. When you experience those overwhelming times and when things fell out of hand find your peace in the Lord, your joy in Him, find your strength, your purpose, your identity in Him, and you’ll make it. I promise.

Time goes by fast. Look how far you have come and be thankful for another day of His goodness. You’ve got your whole life ahead of you. Don’t stop dreaming. Do want you want to do. One life, Live it well.

In closing, I want to appreciate my younger self and also congratulate her. She is strong. She is mighty. She is a lover of life.

I am thankful for the hardships because it has led me to be the stronger woman I am today.

I am thankful for the wrongs I’ve done, the mistakes I have made, because it’s taught me wisdom.

In the end, the things we worry about before seem so small to us now.

In time,

God will provide and answer your prayers. Be patient.