Here's How To Get A Second Date

Here's How To Get A Second Date

For those who are inexperienced or have had bad first dates.

68
Here's How To Get A Second Date
HowAboutWe via Glamour

I'm not a dating professional, but I've been on my fair share of dates and have heard quite a number of horror stories where a second date was for sure out of the question. I want to help other single ladies and men out there who are struggling getting past the first date. Below is a list that will improve your chances for getting a second date.

1. Put your phone away. Nothing is worse than trying to carry a conversation with someone who is captivated in his or her mobile device. It's disrespectful. It's basically screaming, "I'm not interested in you nor what you have to say. What's on my phone is a lot more interesting." Keeping your phone out of sight keeps you engaged in your date rather than being tempted by who just texted you.

2. Be authentic. I understand you want to impress him or her, but everyone can spot a "fake." You both will have a better time if you get to know who he or she truly is. You never know if he or she is just as goofy as you or just as weird as you are if you're trying to be sensible or "cool."

3. Listen more than you talk. I've learned that people love to be heard. Dave Isay says it best: "Listening to someone else closely is one of the most valuable gifts we can give to another human being.” It's also the easiest thing to do. All that is required is to not talk, look them in their eyes, and listen to what they're saying. That person will immediately feel connected with you. (And you truly get to find out if you like the person or not.)

4. Address your nerves. It's OK to admit that you're nervous about your date. The chances are you both are nervous, and by expressing your emotions it might serve as an icebreaker. This will be in your favor because it shows that you are transparent and it will help you both to relax, because you both already have something in common. (And if your date isn't nervous then they'll be able to comfort you or help you feel less nervous now that they are aware of your nerves.)

5. Ask natural questions. Now, don't get carried away and bombard them with questions, but you want to get them talking about themselves. Ask questions that you want answers to, but keep the "deep questions" for the second date. The first date is a warm up, just like when you're warming up for a workout, you don't sprint the warm up lap. Same goes with the first date: don't ask aggressive questions like, "So how many children do you want?" or, "How many sex partners have you had?" You want to ask questions that keep the conversation going in a relaxed and natural but interesting and engaging way. (ex. If they say "I love going to the movies" then you'd say "I do too. What's your favorite movie?" A natural conversation...it's simple, don't make it complicated)

6. Relax and have fun. Have a glass of wine and don't think too much. It's just a date, not a job interview. You both are looking to have a good time, so even if you don't find a connection with your date at least you can say you enjoyed yourself. Allow yourself to have fun with your date. No need to waste a night out.

7. Don't let silence take over. It's natural to have awkward moments of silence, but don't let them last longer than a few minutes. That's why number five in this list is extremely important. You want to keep the conversation going as long as possible and one way to do that is by asking follow-up questions. Unfortunately, people associate awkward moments of silence with no chemistry when first meeting someone. However, that's not completely true. Many times, awkward moments of silence come from you both not feeling comfortable with each other yet, because everyone experiences moments of silence. (When your hanging with your friend(s) or spending time with anyone you're comfortable around these moments also happen.)

First dates should be relaxed and fun. Even if you don't feel a connection between you and your date, you still should try to have a good time, instead of wasting a perfectly good night. Don't be rude or snobby. Look at it as though you gaining a friend, rather than thinking the entire night, "I can't wait to get home." Remember, it's easier to feel a connection when you both are relaxed and determined to have a good time. I hope this list helps you have a fun first date and get a text saying, "You want to go out again on Friday?"