Here's To Being Me And Not Changing For Anyone

I am not who everyone thinks I should be, and chances are, neither are you.

1439
girl with ice-cream
Personal Photo

I live in a special kind of world. I see everything as confetti, cupcakes, unicorns, and rainbows. I am extremely naive. I never break the rules. I am a "goody-two-shoes" to the highest degree. I am the girl that has defied it all.

I drive my mother crazy because I am very trusting of others and I get extremely upset and let down when someone betrays me, but even then, I will give them chance after chance. I struggle with realizing that people will fail me. I feel as though since I am nice to everyone, they should be nice to me. Well, this is not reality.

I want to be everyone's friend and go-to gal, but I have had to learn that people will take advantage of me. People see me as a weak innocent young lady, and I am like a fat man to a cupcake when it comes to being taken over by someone else.

I know why this happens, but I do not know how to stop it. I love getting to know people and investing in others' lives, but how do I protect my heart in the process?

I know I cannot possibly be the only person that sees their glass as half-full or completely running over all of the time, so we must come together. The world is a horrible nasty place, but there is no reason that it has to be.

Why can the world not be confetti, cupcakes, unicorns, and rainbows? It is all about our mindset as a society. If we were all just a bit sweeter to our neighbor, classmate, coworker, child, sibling, or even the incarcerated, would it really be that hard of a change?

So, instead of changing myself to have a harder heart or a negative outlook on life, I think I will change the world. I do not have to be like everyone else, because there is unity in diversity. I simply want to see others succeed and make the world just a tiny bit better.

I encourage you today to not change for society.

Stay in your world and make it your reality.

Who knows? Maybe a good dose of some confetti wouldn't be so bad for everyone.