2017: The Year To Fulfill The Promises You Made To Yourself

We've been waiting for you.

6
Lake Balboa Neighborhood Council

It's been a long wait to see that six turn to seven, and I think we can all agree that we're glad it did.

Whether 2016 was good or bad for you it's fair to say that it's time for a change. This year, it seemed that more bad happened in the world than good. From heartless hate crimes to political changes that left countries in emotional, and sometimes physical, turmoil. From the second week of January I think most of the world had already decided that it was time to part with the year. But here we are. We survived, and our thoughts and never-ending prayers are with those who didn't. For everyone who we lost in 2016, we need to take 2017 and make the world a better place...for real this time.

We need to turn empty comments about equality into power-filled actions. We need to start standing up for opinions, and stop fearing what someone else thinks. Most importantly, we need to start accepting that everyone has different opinions...and that's really okay. If you have different opinions on something as serious as politics or on something as silly as favorite ice cream flavors that is no reason to hate someone. It seems that everyone wants to call out haters, but aren't we hating when we do that? Aren't we judging someone for disagreeing with the common belief? Aren't we not supposed to judge?

I understand that sometimes you just have to say something because otherwise you feel as though a person will go on without knowing what the other side of their belief feels. But that doesn't mean you have to yell at someone, or berate them. People are going to see things from a different light than you because they have a different view on the world. They may have better financial stability than you, or their family may be struggling to make ends meet. That person who doesn't openly support the LGBT community may not know enough about it to want to support it. Your friend's friend who always talks about police brutality may know a victim, or be a victim. In 2017 we have to learn to take these things into account, and learn how to stand strong in personal beliefs without being offensive, but also without being politically correct all the time.

It's the 21st century. I, as a woman and American and human being, have earned the right to speak my mind. You, as a human being and a person from where ever you are from, have also earned the right to speak your mind. I want to hear what you think. I want you to tell me you disagree with me. Please, make me question what I believe and say something that you think might not be politically correct. When a whole generation is afraid of stepping on someone's toes because of their culture, gender, sexual orientation or any other demographic we end up becoming a silent generation. In order to stand up for all of those who are afraid to speak up we need to say some things that a lot of people are going to disagree with. But guess what? That is your right. That is my right. That is all of our rights. (Disclaimer: I am not saying that I believe people should be nasty, violent and outright insult people. That is not speaking up that's just being rude.) So please, as 2017 approaches us, can we all take this opportunity to figure out how we feel about things, and be proud of them? It's really nice to know that other people have their own thoughts.

On a much lighter note for the new year, let's all take time to put phones away(after you read and share this article, that is). College is a mere four years, family is only seen every now and again and friends are the most valuable gifts the universe can give you. So why are we wasting it all on our smart phones? That picture may last for the rest of eternity, but the memory of you and your best friends dancing on a snowy volleyball court will not, and trust me, the memory will be more vivid and joy-filled than any photograph. Not every picture needs to be filtered, because your grandma will not remember you for your puppy filter, but for your smile and eyes and dimples. Take time to tell your significant other how important they are to you in person. Do the same for your mom, dad, brother or sister. A sentimental birthday post is nice, but hearing those kind words in person will stick with you well beyond the death of Instagram. One day our grandkids will be trying to show us how to use the newest gadget. All those pictures, videos, Boomerangs and posts will be forgotten. So try to make 2017 the start of your memories.

Focus on yourself for others. Seriously. Stop telling yourself you have to go do something because if you don't so-and-so won't like you. It's not true, and if it is they probably aren't worth it. Go to bed at a normal time so you aren't grouchy all the time. Try to do your homework before you're up until 4AM the night before it's due. Call your family more than once a month because they probably miss you, and it's completely cool for you to miss them. Above all else don't deny yourself your feelings. In 2016, I saw a lot of friends come to their wit's end because they didn't deal with life when it hit them. They kept it bottled up inside until, finally, one night the bottle broke. Instead of just being flooded with whatever had been thrown at them they were also flooded and hurt by the broken bottle. Your friends want to hear what's going on in your life, and more importantly they will care if you are with them the next day, week, month and year.

Finally, take this year to do the things you said you would do in 2016. But actually do it. You want to start going to the gym? Go. Did you promise yourself that 2016 would be the year you became a vegetarian? Well, now 2017 is. We only get so many New Years, and we don't know which one will be the last. So this year is the perfect year to get started on living your dream life. No one and nothing is stopping you, in fact, they're all rooting for you.

Happy New Year everyone. I hope it's everything you've ever dreamed of, and I hope this year we all find our voices, because we all deserve to be heard.