HELLAween Series: Tricks on how to make the best Treats

Food that's to DIE for? Count me in.

9
Neqstar

Less than a week and a half until the best day of the year! I know a lot of people will be throwing kick-ass Halloween parties! I wish I could go to all of them. But I can at least keep you somewhat entertained with this series! This week I’ve prepared a list of scary good treats that you can use to trick your friends into thinking you can definitely cook!

Candy Corn Pudding Pops (Source)

Ingredients

• Small box (3.3 oz) Instant Jello Pudding – White Chocolate Flavor for white layer
  • Large Box (5.1 oz) Instant Jello Pudding - Vanilla Flavor for yellow and orange layer
  • Honey
  • Red and Yellow food coloring
  • 4 cups of milk

Instructions

Prepare White Chocolate Jello by mixing pudding mix with 1 1/2 cups of cold milk.

Note: This is less milk than the box directions call for. This makes the pudding pops richer and creamier.

Stir in 1 teaspoon of honey and transfer pudding mixture to a large plastic baggie.

Prepare Vanilla Pudding by mixing pudding mix with 2 1/2 cups of cold milk.

Again, a little less than the box calls for.

Stir in two teaspoons of honey and divide pudding into two bowls.

Color one bowl with yellow food coloring, adding just a few drops at a time.

Next, color the other bowl orange by combing yellow and red food coloring.

Transfer the yellow and orange pudding to a plastic baggie.

Snip corner of plastic baggies and squeeze pudding into popsicle molds.

Start with white layer and finish with yellow.

Tap mold on counter between layers to reduce air bubbles and level the layers.

Freeze pudding pops 2-3 hours or overnight.

Spooky Eyeball Tacos (Source)

Ingredients

• 1lb ground beef
  • 1
(1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning mix
  • 12 
taco shells
  • 3⁄4 cup salsa
  • 3⁄4 cup sour cream
  • 1 
tomatoes, small cubes
  • 1 
small head lettuce, sliced into small confetti squares
  • 1
(2 1/4 ounce) canlarge black olives, sliced
  • 1 
cup cheese, Shredded & Long (cheddar is good, but a Mexican blend would be good too)

Directions

Mix meat and seasoning mix. Shape half of the mixture into 24 (1-inch) balls; place in 15x10x1-inch baking pan and bake at 350 F for 15 to 20 minutes or until cooked through.

Brown the remaining seasoned ground beef and add salsa.

Fill each taco shell with a thin layer of ground beef, sour cream, lettuce, and tomatoes.

Position 2 meatballs inside the taco shell and add a dollop of sour cream to each. Garnish with olives to make “eyeballs.” Spread the cheese out along to the top for stringy hair.

Halloween Bark (Source)

Ingredients

• 1 package of vanilla or chocolate almond bark (I've used candiquik too)
  • 1 cup orange candy melts
  • Optional toppings: Candy corn, crushed OREO's, Candy eyeballs, crushed pretzels, M&M's, sprinkles, nuts, any other leftover Halloween candy

Directions

Lay out a large sheet of wax paper and get all of your toppings ready.

Melt the chocolate in the microwave according to package directions. Then pour chocolate onto wax paper. Smooth with a spatula.

Melt orange melts in the microwave according to package directions. Place spoonfuls onto the chocolate and then swirl with a toothpick.

Top with your toppings immediately. Let cool and then break into pieces or cut with a large knife.

Pumpkin Mousse Trifle (Source)

Ingredients

• 5 large egg yolks
  • 1 c. sugar
  • 3½ c. heavy cream
  • 15 oz. Canned pumpkin
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 1½ tsp. ground cinnamon
  • ½ tsp. ground ginger
  • ¼ tsp. ground nutmeg
  • ¼ tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. dark rum
  • 1 tsp. powdered gelatin
  • 3 oz. shaved dark chocolate

Directions

Fill a large bowl halfway with ice water and set aside.

Whisk the yolks, 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons sugar, and 3/4 cup cream together in a medium saucepan. Heat while stirring continuously with a rubber spatula or wooden spoon over medium-low heat, until thickened and the mixture coats the spatula -- about 10 minutes. Transfer to a medium bowl and set over the ice bath. Stir to cool.

Add pumpkin, vanilla, spices, and salt to the egg mixture. Stir 1 tablespoon rum and 1 teaspoon gelatin together in a small bowl. Heat the remaining tablespoon rum, and stir in to the gelatin mixture until dissolved. Gently whisk into the pumpkin mixture. Beat 1/2 cup cream to stiff.

Pour into a shallow dish, cover and chill until cold and thick enough to fall from a spoon in heavy dollops -- about 8 hours or up to overnight.

Beat the remaining cream and sugar to stiff peaks. Alternately layer the pumpkin mousse and whipped cream in a glass serving dish. Sprinkle the chocolate shavings between top two layers. Serve chilled.

Monster Toes (Source)

Ingredients

Directions

Heat the oven to 350 degrees. Cut a wedge into the end of each cocktail wiener to make a flat toenail.

Cut the tortillas into strips about 4 inches long and 1/2 inch wide. Discard the ends.

Soften the strips in the microwave between damp paper towels for 10 to 30 seconds.

Roll each wiener in a tortilla strip around one end and secure with a toothpick.

Place on a cookie sheet.

Bake for 7 to 8 minutes. Remove them from the oven, then fill the toenail with ketchup or mustard. Remove the toothpicks before serving.

Witch's Bubbly Brewed Punch (Source)

Ingredients

• 2 (2 liter) bottles orange soda
  • 1 (46 ounce) can Hawaiian Punch drink
  • 1⁄2 gallon orange sherbet or vanilla ice cream

Directions

In your cauldron or punch bowl add 1 liter of Orange soda and 1/2 can of Hawaiian punch.

Add scoops of ice cream all over the top of the drink.

Stir just a bit, then serve with a ladle full of punch and a scoop of ice cream in each glass.

When the punch bowl gets low, repeat and make more.

Sure it's not much, but all of these are delicious, and totally approved by me. Serve them at your monster mash this Halloween! I'll be back next week with my last (I'm gonna cry) HELLAween post! See you around the graveyard!