Even In Heaven, My Grandma Is Still Teaching Me

Every day, I do my best to live in the moment and make the best of it.

819
Provided by Author

Four months ago, my family lost my grandma. Even though it has been over twelve weeks since she passed, it still shakes me to my core. Dealing with grief is a difficult process although I didn't go through the five stages everyone talks about. It was just hard and for several days, I wallowed in my grief completely debilitated by sadness.

Everyone who knows me how much I appreciate the quote 'Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain." I learned this from my grandma. She had cut it on her Cricket cutter and put it up on her wall. I remember seeing it posted on her wall back when I was in sixth grade and adopting it as my new mantra. I said it to myself, put it on binders and tried to remind myself to live my life the best I could as much as I could. I tried to stare down the things that scared me. Coming to college for example. One of the things I was most scared to, the fear settled in early, probably my sophomore year of high school. But here I am, in my junior year, fighting my way through the storm.

But despite that one big leap of faith, when I was reflecting on my grandma's life and her impact on mine, I felt that I hadn't done enough dancing in the rain.

I realized sometimes, I spent too much time sitting under the cloud of lightning and letting myself get caught up in my grief, stress, or over analyzing. I wasn't spending enough time looking for the rainbow. (I apologize for the cheesy metaphors.) Upon realizing this, I made the decision to make an active change in how I perceived my life.

I knew my grandma would want me to live a happy life, she would worry that I was struggling so much and not letting myself accept to move forward. So I made it a goal to go out and find happiness, despite the chaos that may be swirling around me.

Every day, I do something that will make me happy, I make the best of any situation and do my best to not back away from a challenge.

Although I haven't completely changed the way I live- I still get discouraged and upset when I get rejected from a job offer or miss out on a great opportunity but I do my best to focus on the positives. And when it rains, I don't mind that much. It's just Grandma reminding me to keep on dancing.