Heartless Winter

Heartless Winter

I couldn't wait to see what this would mean.

46
Heartless Winter
Taylor Magazine

Normally every week, once a week, in my Odyssey articles I tend to write about someone or something; but this next month I have decided to change it up and allow myself to channel the writer in me and write a short story. I hope you all enjoy! -T

Heartless Winter

As I walked the three short blocks from my apartment to the quaint coffee shop on the corner, I took my time to bask in the early mid-September morning. This was my favorite part of the day - it was about the only time of everyday that my college town was quiet, it gave time alone to be with my thoughts; and admittedly, it was fascinating to see this city so restful, as its day-to-day was anything but.

"Good morning Becca," I was greeted by the same elderly woman every morning, she was old, frail, and tiny - but goodness did she ever put a smile on my face.

"Good morning Gerty," I said, smiling at her, noticing that she had a broom in her hands and was sweeping the entrance doorway. It was something she did every morning. I took a quick look around the confined space of the coffee shop, seeing the same seven faces as I do every morning. It was routine, and for that I was glad.

"You look lovely dear," she said, eyeing my dress for the day.

I sighed, "thank you, it's my last first day of college, so I had to dress up; at least a little bit." I was wearing a navy blue dress and brown flats, my long auburn hair was braided wistfully to the side, and I made sure to emphasize my gray eyes with eye make-up.

"Oh goodness," she said, patting my hand. "Bless your soul, you'll be dedicated to the books for sure this semester, won't you?"

I nodded, laughing at her fake concern. "I will for sure," I smiled and walked my way to the register, where I ordered my usual - double chocolate Frappuccino. It wasn't until I reached into my pocket to pull out my cash that I realized that I had left my money on my desk in my apartment. "Oh, I'm sorry, but I--"

"Excuse miss, but I can get this," a man said, considerably older than I, from behind me. I turned to look at him, and was stunned by what I saw. He had short black hair and a little stubble on his face, he was taller than I and looked physically active - as he had an average body build; but I quickly realized that I had never seen him in here before.

"You don't have to do that," I murmured, unsure of how to act in this situation.

"I don't mind," he shrugged, looking toward the cashier. "I'll have a medium coffee, black."

"Are you sure you don't want cream, or sugar, or anything?" She was taken aback by the order, as if people chose not to ever get their coffee black.

"Just black," he said, handing her a $10 bill.

After he paid her, I pulled him aside to the table that I sat in every morning. "Thank you, for paying for my coffee."

He shrugged, a smirk on his face. It was within this close proximity that I noted the color of his eyes, they were green; a green I had never once seen before in someone's eyes. "It was really no big deal, it was a cup of coffee." I sighed and looked away, signaling rather quickly that this conversation was over. It was a pet peeve of mine didn't accept the gratitude that I was offering them, let alone when it seemed as though they expected it. "So I heard you mention that it's your senior year of college?" He asked, probing me for more information.

I shrugged, as it was old news. "I am," was all I said.

"May I ask you, what are you majoring in?"

I smiled, this, for some reason, was my favorite question. I loved talking about my future career and my education, because I am not only proud of it; I love what I'm doing. I'm happy. "I'm majoring in foreign language with a focus on French, and minoring in British Literature."

"You're fascinated by other countries, I see," he winked at me, and for some reason it made my heart flutter. I nodded, opening my mouth to say more but was cut off when the barista called me name- my coffee was ready, and at this point I wish it wasn't. "I'll tell you what, why don't we continue this conversation this Friday?"

"Are you asking me out on a date?" I asked, bewildered. He nodded, a light in his eyes that wasn't there before. I looked him over once, smiled and said, "I'll meet you here at six," then went to counter to retrieve my coffee, and slowly and silently, walked out of that small little coffee shop on fourth street.

FRIDAY NIGHT

"You've got it all wrong," I laughed, "that's not how the words go."

"That is to!" Jonathon said, laughing right along with me, gently sliding his hand into mine, resulting in the two of us holding hands. I blushed and looked down at my feet, which were walking on the soft green grass slowly; basking in the beauty of the night and the gentle murmur of the park's night time activities.

"Nope," I said again, focusing on the night we had just had. He had taken me to a fancy dinner, I had steak and he had lobster, and I learned so much about this mysterious man. I learned that he was an accountant for a big time firm in the city, and that he had turned 30 recently, and on that day he had been given a promotion. I learned that he had a nice childhood growing up, and although he wasn't really close with his family he still spoke to them and sent them gifts and cards on every important holiday. I also learned that he had a thing for movies, he loved action thrillers, and his hobby was chess - he had never lost a match. Jonathon was an interesting man, he'd made me laugh and smile more than any previous date I'd ever been on, and we had a connection that was clearly obvious. "We're here," I said, stopping in front of the double doors that were the entrance to my apartment building. "Thank you for tonight, I had a lot of fun."

"Thank for coming," he said, smiling. "You look beautiful, Rebecca."

"Please, call me Becca," I said, smiling. Our eyes locked, and a moment of pure fluster, I looked away; blushing from ear to ear.

"So, Becca, will there be another date?" He asked, smiling at me.

"I guess you'll just have to wait and see," I said, smiling right back. "Good night Jonathon."

"Good night Becca," he said softly as I slowly turned away and opened the door, putting an end to the date that I ever so never wanted to end.

TO BE CONTINUED...

This is only PART ONE of a four part series, please continue to be on the look out for the next pieces in the upcoming weeks! All will be connected and intertwined, you will NOT want to miss out!