Turning Freshmen Year Into The Resolution You Never Achieved​

Tips and tricks that saved me my freshmen year of college.

23

The bottom line, college can be rough.

It is the start of a way, way brand new chapter of a person's life and you are losing lots of what you've known your entire life. That means no more home-cooked meals every night after practice. No more laundry being run and unloaded without question. Most importantly, no more nagging and bailing out.

Our parents are out of the equation, for the most part.

You are truly on your own. So the question therein lies, how are you going to choose to live?

Are you going to lay around your dorm, eating peach rings from the convenience store and drinking leftover Starbucks in your fridge? Or, are you going to go to the gym, make a nice strawberry-banana smoothie, and treat your body like the temple it is?

I personally would choose the latter.

Except, I get it. It is a struggle to do. Especially trying to figure out your new life in such a small amount of time as to keep your head above water. So, I am here to help to give you tips and tricks that saved me my freshmen year of college.

Drink water.

This is something I really important, especially if you live on a large campus where walking is the main mode of transportation. Even if you live on a small campus, drink water ALL DAY EVERYDAY. I learned this the hard way. For the first few weeks of school, everything was happening so fast; I simply forgot to take care of myself. I wasn't eating a lot and was drinking practically no water.

I became superly dehydrated which isn't good for your body. Dehydration can lead to headaches and fainting spells which you don't want. So, in the morning, before you do anything, fill that water bottle up to the top and drink up!

Caffeine, but make it healthy.

If you know me, I am a coffee gal. I love my morning cup of coffee like I am literally drinking mine while I write this. It is something I enjoy in the morning, but I struggled for a way on how to make it better for me. So many coffee/tea drinks contain so much sugar, it made it too sweet to the taste. I wanted to alter how I order drinks and make them in my kitchen.

I used mostly almond or oat milk. That goes for creamers. It makes the coffee less dense, for some drinks can be super heavy and it make the drink better for you. When it comes to going to coffee shops, I try to do that same and add very little sweetener as well, as to make it more coffee than additions.

Starbucks: Iced Coffee with Almond Milk and Pumpkin Spice, No Classic / Iced Matcha Lemonade With Peppermint.

Dunkin: Iced Cappuccino with Almond Milk, No Syrup.

Make meals your fuel.

Something I really struggle with is a healthy relationship with food. I tend to have a negative correlation with food and how it makes me feel. I think it is something we all struggle with, but I have really made it my path to change that. Someone who really has helped me is @dope_kitchen and @ballehurns on TikTok and Instagram. They make food that is simple and yummy, but also super good for your body and your self esteem.

I have also started to make my own ideas and concepts that can help with those insecurities. I find that cooking and being in the kitchen helps me see eating in a more positive light. I will add some of my favorite recipes at the bottom for you all to take and make your own.

Sleep, it is important.

I feel like in high school, it was all about those weird, all-nighters. As though there were not enough hours in the day that you had to do your AP World History assignment at 4 am. Not necessary, but more importantly, not healthy.

If I learned anything in college, it is to take a nap if you are simply not functioning well. Even if it is only twenty minutes It will make the largest difference and make you accomplish so much more. That includes homework, exercise, and making sure you are FED.

These are all of my main tips. They are small, but they make you feel better about living on your own and adjusting to your new lifestyle. Take care of yourself because it is your most vital role.

___

Recipes To Cook

Avocado Toast // Use a whole grain toast and I added a small, portion of hot sauce.

Oatmeal // Regular oats with blueberries, strawberries, agave, almond butter, and any nuts.

Roasted Veggies // Toss in olive oil and garlic salt, bake on a sheet for twenty-five minutes on 425 degrees.

Buddha Bowl // Brown rice, roasted veggies, avocado, olive oil or tahini

Smoothie Bowl // Frozen peaches, frozen pineapple, spinach, agave, cinnamon

Pasta // Chickpea pasta, pesto, any roasted or sauteed veggies

Peppers & Cream Cheese // with Everything Bagel Seasoning

*with Smoothie & Oatmeals, mix in some protein powder if you lack it, like me*