These 10 Shows Are The Reason You Need An HBO Subscription

these 10 shows are the reason you need an hBO subscription

Whatever your media preferences, HBO has a program for you.

52

I am a full-time college student. My days and nights are typically busy, so time to unwind in front of a screen is rare. Despite this, I am an advocate for HBO and its abundance of quality programming. Although I don't have a lot of time to binge television, I'm usually on HBO when I do. I'm not picky about what I look for in television, as long as it has a quality plot and great acting. HBO's original programming has just that, and some of their shows have made it on my list of all-time favorite television shows. As a self-proclaimed TV addict, that's a big deal.

If you're looking for something to watch or need a reason to purchase an HBO subscription, read this list of my 10 favorite HBO shows.

1. "The Night Of"

Perfectly written, timed and casted, "The Night Of" stars Riz Ahemd in his breakout role as a young man accused of a brutal murder. The evidence is seemingly there, but the details that surface throughout the show's eight-episode run will have you thinking otherwise. It will have you on the edge of your seat until the last episode to see the fate of the main character.

2. "Silicon Valley"

"Silicon Valley" is the funniest scripted program in my book. It's witty and amusing while offering a storyline that just maybe could be real. The show follows a tiny tech-startup with revolutionary technology in attempts to make it big in the riches-packed town of Palo Alto; the show also stars a real-life ensemble of young, upcoming comedians.

3. "Big Little Lies"

Based on the best-selling book by Liane Moriarty, this 2017 HBO series has a star-studded cast that creates a compelling drama focused on murder, family and infidelity. If Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley and Laura Dern aren't enough for you to turn on this seven-episode thrill ride, I suggest you still give it a try.

4. "Curb Your Enthusiasm"

Larry David may be old, but his humor is as spot-on as any other young comedian on T.V. "Curb Your Enthusiasm" is brilliant and frustrating and will have you laughing out loud.

5. "Sex and the City"

If you told me I would be a "Sex and The City" fan two years ago, I would have said that you were sadly mistaken. Often stereotyped as being exactly what the title says and nothing more, this program deserves more respect. For its time, it offers constructive commentary on feminism, relationships and societal pressure. It's hilarious and has characters that will start to feel like they're in your own circle of friends.

6. "The Sopranos"

c1.staticflickr.com

It's been called the show that sparked the serial programming epidemic that exists today. "The Sopranos" is an intense drama following a New York mob boss struggling to balance his work life, family life and mental health. This plot description doesn't do this series justice. It's dark, comedic and will have you on the edge of your seat with each episode.

7. "Six Feet Under"

I ended up watching "Six Feet Under" after I finished "Dexter" starring Micheal C. Hall. This early HBO series follows a young Hall and his rather broken family continue to manage their family's mortuary business after the unexpected death of their father. The character development in this show is top-notch, making it difficult to stop watching.

8. "Girls"

Unapologetic and unique, this scripted HBO series follows four New York women navigating their young lives. It's funny, charming and questions the status-quo of mundane subjects. Lena Dunham's brilliant and relatable performance is inspiring and makes this dramedy worth your attention.

9. "Last Week Tonight with John Oliver"

This may not be a scripted drama, but it's worth the watch. Providing a satirical viewpoint on modern world affairs, Oliver constantly delivers on a weekly basis. The humor is undeniable, but it's when Oliver's voice starts to sink in that the points of discussion are all too real. Goodbye, Anderson Cooper. Hello, John Oliver!

10. "Veep"

I like to imagine that this show is a true depiction of Capital Hill. The raw, quirky and laugh-out-loud ridiculous "Veep" stars Julia Louise-Dreyfus as the Vice President of the United States. This political satire is perfect to binge if you're looking for both a comedy and political fix.

These are my top 10 favorite shows on HBO. I'm now looking forward to discovering even more on the network.