Can HBCUs survive four years under Trump?

The Future of HBCUS under Donald Trump

21
Metro.US

Prior to the Civil war, there was no system designed to educate people of color. Statues and policy prohibited the educating of African American students. Historically Black colleges/ Universities were established to educate and serve African American minds at a time where African American students were routinely denied admissions into white universities/colleges. The institute of colored youth was founded in 1837 followed by Lincoln University in 1854 and Wilberforce in 1956. Although these institutions provided primary education it wasn't until the 1900s where HBCUS provided a secondary education to people of color.

Public support for education for African American students became evident with the enactment of the Second Morrill Act in 1890. The second Morrill Act required states with racially segregated public higher education systems to provide a land-grant institution for black students whenever a land-grant institution was established and restricted for white students. This act created land-grant institutions and in the south and 16 institutions became land grant colleges offering courses in Agricultural, mechanical, and industrial subjects, but few offered college degrees.

Today, HBCUS have the task of not only educating but fighting to exist. Many HBCUs have been rendered inferior to white institutions, irrelevant in today's world, and archaic. It's important to note that outside of the Black churches, HBCUS has survived despite segregation and the harsh system of Jim Crow. HBCUS also face severe financial setbacks (even private HBCUs are also struggling), low enrollment, and shaky leadership. HBCUS also take a chance on poorer high school students which doesn't mesh in a time where statesmen aim to speed up degree completion and heighten graduation rates. Today about 105 institutions still stand and more and more are closing at a rapid pace.

As a prospective graduate of an HBCU, I am really concerned about the future of HBCU'S, especially under this incoming presidency. Trump has not even been elected yet and the lives and livelihood of minorities are already under attack whether it's Trump's clear distaste for people of color, the repealing of Obamacare, or someone who doesn't believe in climate change being head of the EPA. What I really want to know if In the next four years how will HBCUS continue to operate with the inevitable budget cuts? How will be able to continue educating students of color? Will HBCUS cease to exist under a Trump presidency? How can we continue to rise above the noise and make a difference in our communities?