Hawaii Might Raise The Age To Buy Cigarettes To 100

Hawaii Might Raise The Age To Buy Cigarettes To 100, And I'm 100% Here For It

This is the most symbolic legislation against smoking in all of American history, and there's no doubt that if it passes, it will create the momentum for other states to follow suit.

yara
yara
215

Say aloha to cigarettes (meaning goodbye in this context). A bill has been proposed by state representative Democrat and doctor Richard Creagan where the age to buy cigarettes would be raised to 100 years old.

Each year beginning in 2020, the age would increase to 30 years, 40 years (2021), 50 years (2022), and 60 years (2023). Finally, in 2024, the purchasing age for cigarettes will be 100 years old.

Tobacco use is the leading cause of cancer and cause of death from cancer. The types are not just the expected lung cancer, however. It increases the chance of liver, stomach, colon, bladder, and cervical cancer (along with many, many more).

And the risk is still present even if you're not the one smoking. Second-hand smoke exposes you to chemicals that damage DNA, potentially leading to cancer.

An important note needs to be made, however. Notice that only cigarettes are included in this age restriction. Cigars, chewing tobacco (or "dip"), and e-cigarettes are not included. Dr. Creagan says that it's because he does not see these forms of tobacco as deeply harmful as cigarettes, although the National Cancer Institute cautions that all tobacco products can cause cancer and are harmful. Regular cigar smokers and cigarette smokers have similar levels of risk when it comes to cancer.

If this bill passes in Hawaii, this will essentially ban cigarettes in the state. This state was one of the leaders in raising the smoking age to 21, something that spread to others such as California, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Oregon, and Maine. And specific cities have also enforced this age restriction, such as New York, Chicago, Boston, San Antonio, Washington D.C., and many more, totaling 430 municipalities. Since 95% of adult smokers started smoking before the age of 21, this age is a logical place to start phasing it out of our culture.