Having A Tattoo Doesn't Make You A Bad Person

Tattoos should not be stigmatized.

291
TrueArtists Blog

Tattoos date back thousands of years, proven to go as far back as 5,300 years ago when 61 tattoos were discovered on the mummified body of Otzi the Iceman. For much of history tattoos were seen as ceremonial or a rite of passage. Tattoos indicated family lines, status and much more. They were and continue to be significant to their wearers.

Tattoos can signify an important part of people's lives, such as military service, love and even great suffering and perseverance. Tattoos may seem foreign and very much against "the norm" to many, but according to a Pew Research pole, "32 percent of people ages 30 to 45 have at least one tattoo." That's almost one-third of adults reaching middle age!

Tattoos are a great way for many to express the way a person thinks and feels in a permanent way. Think of it as a piece of a person's mind and soul etched into their physical being. Or not. Maybe someone got a drunk tattoo. In that case, it's just a hilarious story. Maybe someone got a tattoo to signify gang connections or a violent past and volatile future. Nonetheless, having a tattoo doesn't make you a bad person.

In today's society, we are taught to associate tattoos with people of lower intelligence, poor upbringings and those who deviate from society's norms. Human resource departments have noted that visible tattoos limit a person's employment by one-third. Many people who sport ink are told to keep it covered in the workplace. It is seen as unprofessional by many employers. But why? Why do many people continue to see tattoos as the flag of degenerates? Why do people continue to question if it's appropriate to show off their tattoos? Asking people to cover up tattoos is like asking them to hide a part of themselves because others may be confused or startled by it.

To those with tattoos who don't reveal them often, flaunt your art proudly. Show us what your words cannot express.

Are you a veteran? Use the freedom you fought for and let's see what you've got!

Are you super creative and expressive, but afraid to be judged over your tattoo? Screw whoever judges you for it and bare it all. I'd love to see your cool designs.

Do you have tattoos as a lasting memory of your struggle? Maybe you can inspire others with your tattoo!

For whatever reason you have a tattoo, know that you shouldn't be ashamed of it, and you shouldn't be forced to cover it up. You are more than the sum of your parts and having a tattoo shouldn't define you, your intelligence, or your personality. Flaunt it with pride.