Have you Heard of Lassa?
News

Have you Heard of Lassa?

The Lassa virus has been sweeping through parts of west Africa for weeks, and yet the media has not covered it...

3
Have you Heard of Lassa?

First described in the 1950s, the virus causing Lassa disease was not identified until 1969. The Lassa virus is considered a fever that is an acute viral hemorrhagic illness caused by exposure to food or household items contaminated with the urine or feces of infected Mastomys rats. Although the exposure comes directly from infected rat feces, transmission can also occur from person-to-person, through sexual relations, and in healthcare settings that lack the proper sanitary and control measures. All ages and sexes are susceptible to Lassa.

This disease is endemic in the rodent population in parts of West Africa, along with Benin, Guinea, Ghana, Mali, Liberia, Nigeria, Sierra Leone, and Togo; but yet, very little people in the U.S. have even heard of it. This virus, which is cousin to Ebola, has a fatality rate of 1% and among the patients who become hospitalized with severe symptoms and illness caused by Lassa, case-fatality is estimated at around 15%. This means that the Lassa virus has a higher mortality rate than the coronavirus, and has been actively spreading for longer, with 100,000-300,000 cases reappearing each year.

Although about 80% of people that become infected do not have visible signs of symptoms, or they take time to appear, one in five cases results in severe disease where the virus will affect the liver, spleen and kidney organs. The symptoms and infected time span of patients with the Lassa virus appear much like the coronavirus, and can last anywhere from 2-21 days, and gradually deepens beginning with a fever and general body aches and weakness. These symptoms then expand into:

-headaches

-sore throat

-muscle and chest pain

-nausea and vomiting

-cough and abdominal pain

These symptoms are similar to other viral infections that are spreading right now, and in some cases worse, due to severe cases, where the virus can cause facial swelling, fluid in the lung cavity, bleeding from the mouth, nose and other orifices, and low blood pressure. When looking at the Lassa virus, there have been reports of seizures, tremors, disorientation and even comas in later stages of this illness. 25% of recovered patients have reported deafness, with hearing returning for half of them in a span of 1-3 months. Although, because the virus has such a wide variety of symptoms, diagnosis is difficult and hard to define compared to other spreading viruses.

As for treatment, there is no current vaccine available, so instead, the drug ribavirin has been used in several countries as a therapeutic agent. Prevention, however, is much more effective, and keeping up with community hygiene and safe storage of food has shown the best results to prevent the spread of viruses of this nature.

So now pops the question, why have we not heard about it? The issue remains that other countries are facing very similar, if not worse circumstances than we are, AND have been experiencing this illness, along with many more for much longer, with little to no help. Yet, when we saw our country challenged with the coronavirus, very quickly were regulations and precautions being taken. These are countries that are impoverished and who do not have access to the type of medical outlets that the U.S., for example, has available. In fact, hospitals in these areas are suffering from overcrowding and poor-hygiene, causing Lassa to continue spreading and infect more people. It is essential that we use our resources and government to help far more than just ourselves, but other countries that are suffering just as we are.

According to NCBI research, "Production of a combined, single-dose vaccine against yellow fever and Lassa fever has been proposed. The cost and logistical problems of delivering it would be huge, particularly since fewer than 20% of districts in the countries studied achieve 80% uptake of childhood vaccination. Use for visitors from the United Nations, non-governmental organizations, and business communities might make it financially viable, even though it is the most expensive of the possible control strategies." Therefore, it is suggested that international collaboration over research, mappings of epidemiological and clinical stories, effective and affordable diagnostics kits and specialist treatment centers can dramatically improve the understanding and investigations of this virus. This could lead to new vaccines, control of the spread of Lassa, and help to protect visitors and residents of the affected countries. Therefore, yes, this does impact you.

Another information sector of the NCBI website, written by J Kay Richmond, freelance consultant, and Deborah J Baglole, health advisor, read, "Civil unrest severs supply and trading links, and people want for basic commodities. Migration disrupts agricultural cycles, reduces farming activities, and encourages looting, killing of livestock, and destruction of property. People are forced into overcrowded camps and public buildings, and spread of communicable diseases is facilitated." Sound familiar?

There have been six cases of Lassa fever in the United States, according to the CDC. All who were infected while traveling to countries where the virus was spreading. It is possible for U.S. citizens to be impacted as well. All in all, healthcare and basic household necessities are a human right and should go beyond the U.S.. If we have the power and capability to expand our resources to other areas in need of assistance, then why aren't we?

For more information on the Lassa virus, visit:

https://www.cdc.gov/vhf/lassa/index.html

https://www.who.int/health-topics/lassa-fever/#tab...

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15487592