3 Hidden Haunted Locations In America
Nature Animals

3 Lesser Known Haunted Locations In America That Will Spook Up Any Road Trip

Let's venture out to see the lesser known haunted locations this fine country has to offer.

166

With summer in full swing, we all sit around looking for things to do in our spare time or just some fun ideas on vacation. My favorite thing when looking for stuff to do on vacation is finding ghost tours. I like to see what the local haunted spots are and the history behind them. Therefore, I decided to share some lesser known (but super neat) haunted locations across America that you may just want to take a road trip to.

1. Sorrel-Weed House

Sorrel-Weed HouseSorrel-Weed House Country Living

As highlighted in a recent episode of "Buzzfeed Unsolved", this house has quite the history and character. Located in Savannah, Georgia, this antique home was constructed in 1835. It was said to have been built on a bloody battleground from the Revolutionary War. The house was originally built for the first owner, Francis Sorrel, a very wealthy merchant. In 1859, the house was purchased by Henry D. Weed. Why or how the house was turned over to him is unknown. It stayed in the Weed family until 1914 and went through many owners since. Seeming like a normal home, the paranormal activity here seems to just be due to previous families sticking around.

Although, one thing did happen in the house that may have brought on a lot more. As told in "Buzzed Unsolved: The Horrifying Sorrel-Weed Haunted Mansion," one of the owner's sons was a doctor who performed procedures in the basement. Although not proven, some spirits may be linked to these procedures.

The ghosts that have been found throughout this house includes a young girl who likes to play hide and seek, one of the original owners, and the original owner's wife who fell to her death from the second story of the home. Some unknown entities include a mass that will approach you and fill you with incomprehensible emotions. Whether the spirits are really lurking or not, the eeriness of this mansion is enough to scare away anyone.

2. That Steak Joynt (now: Adobo Grill)

That Steak JoyntThat Steak Joynt Flickr

This location always felt bizarre to me when learning about it but deep down, I always wanted to eat here to check the place out myself. Located in Chicago, Illinois, the building these restaurants stood was built in 1872. Prior to 1872, a less extravagant building stood housing a bakery known as Piper's Bakery. After the Chicago fire devastated the city, the owner of Piper's Bakery rebuilt where his bakery once stood. He continued on with his bakery business until the 1920s. Various different business occupied the space for 40 years until it was bought by two guys in 1962.

The used this space as a home for their new restaurant and bar, That Steak Joynt. It was a very lively and upscale eating establishment that held an exquisite old world feel to it. After one of the owners died, the building was sold to the Adobo Grill in the 2000s. The place was renovated a bit but still had that lively feel. Over the years, however, this building has had its fair shares of spooky experiences. Some history behind the instances is the building stood on Piper's Alley which is a spot where two people have been murdered. Along with this, the art collected and hung in this building is suspected to have some spirits energies attached to it.

Some unexplainable instances in this building are people hearing women's footsteps in the women's bathroom when no one is in there, a former owner has seen figures walk up the stairs, and one of the bartenders was cleaning up for the night when he saw two yellow eyes staring at him. Customers have reported cold spots on the stairs and have been reported being touched or grabbed by unidentifiable sources. Even some harmful spirits have made their presence known so just be weary and open-minded if entering.

3. Old Faithful Inn, Yellowstone National Park

Old Faithful InnOld Faithful Inn Wikipedia

Heading out west for the last, but certainly not least, spooky location America has to offer is the Old Faithful Inn. This inn is located in Yellowstone National Park in Wyoming. The inn provides a nice view of the Old Faithful Geyser and is a very popular spot for the locals. Built between 1903 and 1904, this inn started off as just one building. It held 120 rooms and built using most of what the surrounding park had to offer (trees). In 1913, the main structure was expanded to feature an East Wing. Later down the line in 1928, a West Wing was added and this was what brought on the paranormal activity.

According to the website Haunted Rooms, the West Wing was accidentally built on top of unmarked graves. This was never intentional but still, the spirits became restless. Some major instances of activity reported is a firefighter having a real experience of watching a male spirit play a prank. In this prank, the spirit lifted a fire extinguisher out of the holder, turned in 90 degrees, then put it back. Some spookier instances reported is people seeing a headless bride roaming in her wedding dress, a very sad little boy, and a woman who likes to watch the guests sleep. Should make you a little weary when wanting to take that trip to the famous national park.