I Hate You, Vending Machine

I Hate You, Vending Machine

I thought we could be friends, maybe even more. But you betrayed me.

74
I Hate You, Vending Machine
en.wikipedia.org

This article is a message to an individual in my life who I thought I could trust until they robbed and betrayed me. Yes, this is a message to you, Vending Machine. I did not want to have to write something so public, but I think that this is the only way that I will be able to truly find closure after what you put me through, and I also feel that it is time someone called you out on your inappropriate and seemingly criminal behaviour.

I cannot remember our first encounter. I doubt that I had any strong feelings for you at the time, but I do know that I did not think you would ever hurt me (well, not emotionally. I’m pretty sure you would physically hurt me if you toppled over and fell on me, but that is a topic for another article). As I got older, I became more independent, and I was out tackling the world by myself, but still I found that I was comforted whenever you were nearby.

There are times when I am socially awkward and I would prefer not to have to deal with people, so if ever I was thirsty or in need of some Mountain Dew energy, I knew that you could help me out for just some of the change in my pocket. Perhaps that should have been my first sign. I always thought it was fair that you would quench my thirst in exchange for some quarters. This is a capitalist nation and you did have a job to do, probably even a boss who needs to make a profit, so handing over my money to you made some sense. But maybe a real friend would have treated me, at least once.

The first time I realized our relationship was unhealthy will always haunt me. I remember walking by and you had a Gatorade stuck behind your glass window. I thought you were offering me a friendly free drink, all I would have to do is pay for one and you would give me two. No one would have to know. When I gave you my change, I quickly realized that it was a trick and both Gatorades were lodged within you. Vending Machine, you made a fool of me, so I walked away from you empty-handed (after about two more attempts for a free drink).

Time passed. I became wiser and more educated and whenever I walked past you, you would never tease me with a free drink. It really looked like you changed. I let myself be drawn in again and I thought we were back to being good friends—until just last week.

It has been pretty hot this summer, and the walk from my car in the parking lot to my place of work is a long one that seems even longer because of the heat. I saw you on my way to work and instinctively reached for my back pocket, where a couple of quarters and dimes lay. It was dangerously hot and I really needed something to drink and you even offered my favorite: apple juice. Without hesitation, I gave you my money and I was ready to thank you for offering me some sweet cool relief, but nothing happened. You took my money and gave me nothing in return. My money had gotten stuck and you would not give it back. I just stared in disbelief. I thought I could trust you. I went to work and drank city water from a water fountain.

Vending Machine, I really do not want to hate you, but I trusted you and you betrayed me when I needed you most. I thought you were cool, but I now see that the only cool thing about you are the drinks you use to tempt the thirsty and dehydrated.