Harry Potter And The Struggles Of College

Hogwarts is not so far off from your average college. There are dormitories for the students to live in, and classes that everyone takes in hopes to attain a certain career. Now, we may not all face something like Lord Voldemort trying to kill us, but in essence that could just be our student debt. Traversing the halls of Hogwarts with Harry through the years has taught me a lot about how to deal with college. Here's just a few things that I learned:

1. People with similar or relating majors group up

These can be seen to Hogwarts's Houses (over Ilvermorny for you Americans). Some, while not being the same, are friends with each other and can deal with each other, while others come across as mortal enemies. For example, I am a Ravenclaw. I would be friends with Slytherins, okay with Gryffindors, but definitely not okay with Hufflepuffs (What the HELL is a Hufflepuff?).

2. Sometimes you are really good friends with the professors and they let you do whatever you want.

Finding that professor that you connect with is probably one of the best things ever. McGonagall was definitely a good example of that to the trio. Dumbledore would be a better example, but he wasn't really their professor. He was more like the president of the college that also partied a little too hard.

3. But then you have those professors that will go out of their way to bring you down.

Even though we are all aware that Snape did a lot of thing for Harry's better good, he was also kind of a dick. There's a fine line between protective and abusive.

4. No matter what though, you'll have your friends to complain to

Friends are always there when you need to talk, whether it be about professors or tasks that you have to do.

5. When an assignment's due date changes...

After the all-nighter you pulled to finish the paper, the worksheets, the teaching plan etc., it sucks when you find out that the assignment isn't due the next day.

6. When you parents try to dictate your life...

I know what I'm doing, mom. I'm perfectly okay taking 18 hours of classes, working a part-time job AND going out to Steve's house to get extremely wasted and waking up with a disgusting hangover.

7. Sometimes you surprise yourself with your love for whatever you are studying

Doing a paper on a topic that you thought was going to be boring or an assignment that you dreaded doing, sometimes you find the most interesting facts that you can use later in life. Or figure out what you want to write your senior thesis on.

8. Sometimes you have to stand up for what's right

Whether it be standing up to people you consider to be your friends, like Neville had to, or some stupid people that you don't know, but they go to your school, there is always going to be a cause that you have to fight for. Sometimes it's a movement like Black Lives Matter, and sometimes it's just making sure you have decent vegetarian options in the cafeteria.

9. Sundays... the day before the Mondays

Sunday is the cram day to do homework, the day to recover from whatever you did Saturday, the day that you probably have to deal with parents and people at church and the mental day to prepare for Monday. The mail comes on Monday.

10. Getting our degree cannot come soon enough

Now, we didn't fight in a huge battle or have many of our friends die, but we have been on the adventure of a life time trying to get a degree that will help us get a job so we can possibly get rid of our thousands of dollars of debt.