Harrison Bergeron Analysis

Harrison Bergeron Analysis

Analyzing a simple short film.

840
Harrison Bergeron Analysis

In the film Harrison Begeron, director Truttle uses symbolism to represent Harrison as a Jesus Christ-like figure to represent the meaning of Harrison’s self-sacrifice. Harrison is portrayed as an above “average” man whose natural ability is limited by state assigned handicaps. Almost everyone but Harrison’s mother wears at least one, from weight around one’s neck to though cancelling earphones. Harrison wears multiple chains and shackles on his entire body which lets the audience know that he is capable of more than everyone else, and that it is the government who gives him these restrictions. When he interrupts the ballet by stepping on stage this is how Truttle first represents Harrison as Christ-like because it foreshadows his public resurrection, like that of Jesus. Harrison continues on stage by taking of the mask meant to handicap his beauty, and breaks his chains in so that his arms stretch out into a 90 degree angle like that of Jesus on the cross. Truttle does this to show how Begeron is dying for the better and greater good of society like Jesus. He sets this scene up to show Harrison as a martyr and dying for what he believes is right and to raise awareness of the passive life the handicapped state is living in. On stage, Harrison Bergeron explains how he is taking of his handicaps because they are useless and instead of reaching their primary goal of creating equality it is just an inconvenience to society. Instead of the handicaps making everyone equal they hinder society from learning more, advancing in skill or thought, so that the ones who are able to do extraordinary things are brought down to an “average” level. Once Harrison explains his stance on the handicaps and the government, he ask for someone in the audience to join him, even though he knew his actions were illegal and subjected to death. This resembles Jesus’ quest for disciples. In a predominately non-Christian area, Jesus decided to break the law and follow what he thought was right. Like Harrison he asked for disciples, followers of God and himself to join him, and though he knew Christian during this time were punished by death activities like stoning he still continued to spread the Word of God he thought was right. Though Jesus Christ was Jewish he did not agree with the formality of the religion and thought tradition triumphed compassion. Both Harrison and Jesus went against social norms and the law in hope to accomplish spreading their ideas to those who it could help. Before Harrison’s “bomb” goes off, the camera pans to a broken sign that reads “Death is not the worst of evils” that tells the audience Harrison broke it before putting his bomb in place. In Harrison Bergeron death is not the worst evils means leaving a passive life is worse than being dead. No one questioned the handicaps and the government and when one does not take an active role in their life, it is worse than being dead. Harrison represents this quote by not being scared of death. He breaks out of jail knowing that because he is the most wanted inmate that he will be hunted down, but instead of being scared he anticipates it and tries to express himself to his fellow citizens. In Jesus’ life he knew preaching new Christian ideas and claiming he was the Messiah was punishable by death, but he continued with his path, and in the face of death he welcomed it instead of running away. The quote in his life symbolizes that living a sinful life or a life based more on tradition than on the Word of God is worse than death, and if he had to die to show it he was willing. Truttle represents Harrison Bergeron as a Christ-like figure to show that one should always stand up for what they believe in even if it’s not the popular opinion.