Harley Quinn May Be A Sucker For Pain, But You Shouldn't Be

Harley Quinn and The Joker are not #RelationshipGoals.

166
screenrant.com

Since the release of "Suicide Squad", women everywhere are exclaiming their lust for a love like Harley Quinn and The Joker. It’s so wonderful when Mistah J comes back to save his puddin, isn't it? Oh yeah, except for the fact that he left her for dead. Might I add that this happened more than once? Harley Quinn and The Joker are not #RelationshipGoals.

Warning: this article may contain a few spoilers.

First, let's discuss the beginning of Harley Quinn and The Joker's relationship. Dr. Harleen Quinzel was a doctor working at the Arkham Asylum when the famous enemy of Batman, The Joker, is admitted. She volunteers to allow The Joker to be her personal patient. During their time together, The Joker wins Harleen over, causing her to fall in love with him. He then convinces her to help him escape. After his escape for Arkham Asylum, Harleen becomes Harley Quinn: The Joker's lover/sidekick/punching bag.

Although Harley and The Joker's relationship is obviously abusive when shown in the comic books, it may not be as easy to spot the signs of abuse in the "Suicide Squad" film. At one point in the movie, The Joker drives off a bridge into a large body of water in an attempt to get away from Batman. He successfully escapes, but does not even attempt to rescue Harley. He could honestly care less about her. She is just one way for him to pass the time.

The photo below shows part of a deleted scene from the film that showcases the scolding The Joker gives Harley.

The helicopter scene that is shown in "Suicide Squad" is another good example that shows that The Joker doesn't quite love Harley as much as he lets on. In the film, the helicopter scene can be viewed as almost romantic when The Joker returns to save his beloved. However, the theatrical version left out part of that scene. The Joker was supposed to actually push Harley out of the helicopter, and this was not shown in the film. The film portrayed a more romantic feeling between the two throughout the movie to attract more viewers.

With all fake romanticism aside, The Joker and Harley Quinn's relationship is one composed of fear, domestic violence, as well as emotional and physical abuse. Now tell me, does this relationship really seem like a relationship that you would want to be in? Would you want your friends, family, daughters or sons to be in a relationship like this? Probably not. It just doesn't make sense.

I am absolutely tired of people saying that they long for a relationship like The Joker and Harley's. Yes, Harley is madly in love with her puddin', but no one should be so in love with their significant other that they put up with abuse on a daily basis. I urge everyone to stop saying that the pair are #RelationshipGoals.