Happy National Best Friends Day!

However, fun fact: I don't have a best friend.

While on Instagram today, everyone will be posting on their pages and stories about how much they love and appreciate their number one, that will not include me.

You may be wondering why I don't have a best friend. Well, here are a couple reasons why yours truly doesn't have a bestie. I did have a best friend growing up. She lived down the street, we went to different elementary schools, but you can bet everything that we were racing to each other's houses right when we got home. Every day contained new fun and adventure for six years. However, once middle school rolled around, we grew apart, and fond memories stayed that way, few and far between to ever be made again.

I suppose that was the beginning of the end. If you think about your best friend, you've probably known them for a long time, grown up with them, and they know you better than anyone else. Every other Odyssey article about best friends exactly relate to you and your other half. Once my bff and I grew apart, and I, in no way blame her, it was a little tough to find a new one. I went to a very small private k-12 school, and most friends were already taken by each group, with the token few new kids every year.

As much as I tried to find a new best friend, it never really occurred. I had a decent group of friends, but I never seemed to come across someone who also needed a best friend like me.

If you're thinking this is all a sob story, you're wrong.

Yes, not having a best friend is occasionally sad. Some would think it's detrimental to your childhood. But here's the best part. I don't mind, actually, I fully enjoy not having a best friend.

Every day, not having a best friend forces me to go out and make new friends and strengthen current friendships with others. I don't have to rely on a singular person to know if my outfit looks good enough, or if they watched the next episode of the bachelorette without me. Being able to drift around allows me to find people who I might never thought I could be friends with, and gives me a true sense of independence.

It is okay to not have a best friend.

If you do, I applaud you. Having someone in your life who is equally important to you as you are to them is rare. Cherish it, because it might not last forever.

For me, today, just like many other days, I will be my own best friend. I cherish being able to work on myself. I get to be a degree of selfish, where I can participate in self-care and self-love, because so many times it is underrated and not seen as important, when it truly is.

The person that you have to spend your entire life with isn't your best friend, your sibling, or your partner, it's you. You are the best person to rely on, you are the one who needs to be satisfied that you're living the life that makes you happiest.

In the words of Tom Haverford and Donna Meagle, treat yo' self.

Either way, best friendless or not, there is joy and happiness to be found in the adventure. People come and go, and at the end of the day, you have to spend your entire life with you, so you might as well enjoy it, and be your own best friend.