Celebrating Hanukkah In A Christmas-centric World

All it takes is a "Happy Holidays" to make someone feel included.

45
Flickr

The story of Hanukkah starts in the year 168 B.C.E. when Antiochus, a Syrian tyrant, sent soldiers to Jerusalem. The soldiers desecrated the Temple, the most sacred place for Jews at the time, and Antiochus outlawed the practice of Judaism and the observance of Jewish holidays meanwhile setting up idols for the warship of Greek Gods. Jews were give two options, convert or die. On the 25th of the Hebrew month of Kislev the temple was renamed for Zeus and a resistance movement led by a priestly family, known as the Maccabees, rose in opposition to Antiochus. Judah Maccabee, the chief strategist and military leader, lead the resistance to win two battles against the Syrians. The celebration of this day was supposed to mirror another Jewish holiday, Sukkot, which also lasts eight days.

However, most Jews know the story of the re-dedication of the temple (which developed centuries after the defeat of the Syrians) where there was only enough oil to keep the eternal flame, a lamp that is never allowed to go out, from extinguishing for one day and that it would take eight before someone would return with more oil. Miraculously, the flame burned for eight days and the oil arrived in time so the flame never extinguished. This story is where the lighting of the Menorah, a nine-pronged candelabra, comes from. Many also attribute the length of Hanukkah celebration to this legend and the miracle of the oil.

Lighting the Menorah was a common practice in the 19th Century, however Northern American Jews neglected many other traditions associated with Hanukkah. By the 1920s, Hanukkah was known as the "Jewish Christmas" and gift-giving was introduced to the holiday. "The elevation of Hanukkah to a major holiday was the result of Jews acculturating themselves to a North America that was overwhelmingly Christian in population and symbols. (reformjudaism.com)" However, Hanukkah is not just an imitation of Christianity, it is a time for Jews to rededicate themselves to Judaism, celebrate family, and reinforce their Jewish identity.

The history of Christmas as we know it, on the other hand, begins in the fourth Century, Pope Julius chose December 25th as the day to celebrate the birth of Jesus, which is not mentioned in the Bible. Many believe that this date was chosen in order to adopt pagan traditions, especially since the pagan holiday of Saturnalia, was celebrated around this time. At first the holiday was called The Feast of Nativity and it spread all over Europe. By the eighth century, Christmas had even reached Scandinavia. "Today, in the Greek and Russian orthodox churches, Christmas is celebrated 13 days after the 25th, which is also referred to as the Epiphany or Three Kings Day. [On this] day it is believed that the three wise men finally found Jesus in the manger. (history.com)" By the Middle Ages, Christianity had replaced Paganism as the dominant religion and during Christmas celebrations someone would be named the "lord of misrule" and everyone else became their subjects. The poor would go from wealthy household to wealthy household and demand food and drink. In the 17th Century, Puritans took over England and changed the celebration of Christmas. However, they were dislodged from rule and many Puritans left for the Americas. Christmas was not celebrated in early America because of this. Time passed and class conflict began to arise during Christmas time. "The family was also becoming less disciplined and more sensitive to the emotional needs of children during the early 1800s. Christmas provided families with a day when they could lavish attention-and gifts-on their children without appearing to “spoil” them. (history.com)" Santa did not become associated with Christmas until this time. Today, Christmas is a time for family and philanthropy often embodied by bright lights and copious gift giving.

My experience as a Jew living in a very Christmas-centric world has been incredibly frustrating. When I was in elementary school winter break, was called "Christmas Break" or "Christmas holiday." Christmas games were played in class and all holiday activities revolved around Christmas trees, wish lists, or letters to Santa. This neglect to incorporate Hanukkah left me feeling lonely, left out, and angry. Even now, as a practicum student visiting elementary schools, I notice an abundance of Christmas decorations and a lack of secular winter or interdenominational decorations.To this day, I resent the Christmas holidays. It becomes a point of contention that many begin celebrating Christmas as soon as Halloween is over. The inability to escape the Christmas mania and mayhem has in the past left me feeling isolated from my peers. When I think about others who have the same feelings as I do, especially children, I become frightened for their mental well being. This exclusion of groups by faith just creates the feeling of being an "other," an inconsequential nothing in society. All it takes is a "Happy Holidays" to make someone feel included.

Both holidays are vastly different, even though they share some obvious qualities. Please be considerate of those who do not worship the same way you do!

Happy Holidays!

Sources:

reformjudaism.org/hanukkah-history

history.com/topics/history-of-christmas

http://www.history.com/topics/christmas/santa-claus