Do Happy Endings Really Only Happen In The Movies?

We love those movies that feel real.

78
Divita Pandy

When people first went to the movies, they were astonished by all of the movement and how lifelike it was. The movie "Hugo" mentioned that the audience felt like the train was about to run over them. The thing that really made this movie amazing was the movement; there was never a quiet scene. Hugo was either running through the train station to turn the clocks or he was at home trying to fix the mechanical man. The entire movie was surreal. How could a little kid lose his father and be so responsible? Hugo was able to perform his father’s duties, take care of himself, work for Papa George, and repair mechanical devices. Because the plot is so unbelievable and there is constant action and suspense, it creates a sense of wonder. Whenever I watch movies, or read books, I become the main character and I feel like everything that the main character undergoes happens to me too. For example, when it appeared that Hugo was about to get hit by a train and the train couldn’t stop, even though it had moved off the tracks, it seemed like it was actually happening to me. You get absorbed into good movies and it makes you wonder what is in store for the next scene. The mechanical man definitely made me wonder how a machine operated. A suspenseful scene was when Isabelle and Hugo met the author of the book that stated that Melies had died at war. The fact that they still had one of his movies left and they were able to make him feel better was a beautiful sight to see. I love movies in which old cold-hearted people find compassion. Papa George went from hating Hugo because he stole to taking his notebook to forcing him to work at the toy-shop and finally to loving Hugo. Hugo healed the hole in George’s heart. Imagine having something so incredible and being left with a toy-shop in a station filled with people. Every moment that somebody with heels walks by is an awful memory of the past. I don’t know how Papa George did it.

Today’s movies don’t create a sense of wonder. They all have similar plots, and it is obvious what’s going to happen next. I remember seeing a movie in second grade at the Oregon Museum of Science and Industry and it was the most amazing movie I’ve ever seen. We were sitting in the middle of the theater, and the movie was projected on the ceiling above us. We tilted our heads up and as the water came rushing towards us, it felt as if we were about to get soaked. Other movies that have really made me feel like a character are "The Blind Side" and "Forrest Gump." I love movies that show people starting from the bottom and being able to achieve their goals.

Overall, Hugo was a great movie. I’m usually not interested in movies of this type with all of the action and engineering, but this one was an exception to my rule.