You Need To Be Happy Being Alone Before You Can Be Happy In A Relationship

Instead of working on finding the right person, work on being the right person.

4186
Amanda McBride

Too often, we think that being in a relationship is going to fix all of our problems. And too often, we are afraid of being alone which results in being in a relationship that may or may not be healthy or good for us. Even though being single can sometimes be difficult, especially when you see your friends and other people being so happy in their relationships, it's never a good idea to brush things under the rug and be in a relationship just because you're afraid of being alone.

Even though it can be hard and sometimes we don't recognize when we've fallen down this path, you can choose to come to terms with your own insecurities and learn to be the best version of yourself before you decide to be in a relationship. Here are a few reasons why you need to be happy being alone before being in a relationship:

1. You can figure out your own strengths and weaknesses

Even though being in a relationship can allow you to find your strengths and weaknesses, being alone can help you figure these out quicker, healthier way. Most of us have been in a toxic relationship, minimally or intensely, and if you have, you know it's very easy to become so wrapped up in it to the point where you lose yourself and you don't even know who you are anymore. And if you haven't been in a relationship like this, most of us have seen our friends suffer in it, and it's never fun. Being single can help you find what your strengths and weaknesses are, without being so wrapped up in someone else. It also allows you to put yourself first and focus on your own happiness before you worry about someone else's.

2. You learn to love who you are and be comfortable in your own skin

This one sounds obvious, but so many people who are unhappy with themselves think that being in a relationship will boost their self-esteem and confidence. But the truth is, if you don't love yourself, you can't love someone else. Love starts with a healthy relationship with yourself, and if this isn't the case, unhappiness will surface in destructive ways throughout your relationship. When you're single, you learn how to love yourself and accept who you are. One of the things that you can use to determine if you're comfortable being alone is if you can go to a restaurant and eat alone. Accept who you are and love who you are!

3. You learn how to reach your full potential

When you're single, you have the opportunity to do whatever you want and go wherever you want. You learn what you love and what you hate, and you know you are and what you want to be. Being single gives you the freedom to live for yourself and make all of your own decisions and be the best version of yourself. When we're the best versions of ourselves and we reach our full potential, we accept who we are. You don't need someone else to do this for you!

4. You will attract the right person when you are being the right person

"Instead of working on finding the right person, work on being the right person." When you're unhappy with yourself, you attract other people who are also not happy with themselves. However, when you're happy and mentally healthy, and you love yourself and who you are, and you radiate confidence that will attract someone like you. You attract the right person when you are being the right person, and the person you want to be.

Happiness starts with you, not a relationship.