Happiness Is Not The Destination, It Is The Journey

"The journey is what brings us happiness, not the destination"

1417
Nicole Crank

Life is a long journey that we embark on the moment we are brought into this world. It is a long, sometimes unclear path but the most important thing to remember along the way is that happiness is the journey. We always think of happiness as a destination or a finish line, but if you only focus on the happiness you will feel at the destination, you will never see the beauty and happiness that resides around you every day. For life's a journey, and to say that happiness is the destination and not the journey, is to say that you have not lived a happy life.

For a long time, I always thought that happiness was the destinations or goals that we are trying to reach in life. Like, I always thought "when I’ll be 16 I will be happy because I will be able to get my driver’s license and have a car", or when senior year of high school began I always thought to myself, "man I cannot wait to graduate in May". But as I grew up, and I turned 16, and a few years later I graduated, I was happy... but only for those moments. Because I had based my happiness on sole destinations, rather than focusing on enjoying the journey.

It was only at that point, did I realize that happiness was the journey.

On this journey of life, we will have those moments where we hit roadblocks and it throws us off course, and then all of a sudden we are completely lost. It seems like all happiness has been lost, and as if there is no hope. But the most important thing to remember is that you have to keep moving forward, keep pushing and find your happiness again. It may not be in plain sight or at a certain destination, but you have to keep continuing on your journey and keep a positive mind, for the best happiness comes unexpectedly. During the second half of my sophomore year, I felt lost, and the pathway that I thought I was supposed to be on was gone. It felt as if I would never find happiness on my journey again. But I kept moving forward. I created my own path and continued my journey. I didn’t find happiness right away, but I found tiny bits of happiness in my journey as each day went by. Then finally out of nowhere, my happiness came to me. My happiness came to me in the form of a person, and that person is now my current girlfriend, Katie Gardner.

She changed my life for the better, and she has made this journey even better. If there is one thing that being with her has taught me, it’s that it is not about what we have in life, but who we have in life that matters.

It’s all about that person who sticks with you on your journey even when times get rough.

She has stuck with me through all the struggles I have endured these past months, and that is why I love her. Her coming into my life only reminded me more that the journey is where you find your happiness. Because I refuse to sit around and give up and to keep moving forward on my journey of life; I found her and my life has changed in an amazing way.

Happiness isn’t a place. It’s not a finish line, it’s not a brand new house, it is the journey. Life is a journey, and it is not about what you have with you, but it is about who you have by your side. It is about never giving up on your journey, and enjoying each step of the way, even when the path you are following seems hopeless. Keep going, keep continuing your journey even when you feel weak or want to quit. Because you never know what you will discover along the way. So treasure every moment and every step of the way, for happiness is the journey.