Happiness is like a Boomerang

Happiness is like a Boomerang

For me, it’s just a bad day, not a bad life.

124
Happiness is like a Boomerang
Kaboompics

Being happy isn’t a feeling that is felt all of the time. All of us have bad days, all of us cry. For some, bad days are everyday. For me, it’s just a bad day, not a bad life.

Being happy or finding “the good in things” isn’t something that just happens. It didn’t happen overnight. For most happy people, they probably once weren't all that happy. Some people use their “happy feelings” to mask what is behind them. I (at least lately, I’m not a miracle worker) have been trying to be happy. I've been trying to find the light at the end of the tunnel, in a way.

College is stressful, but life is stressful. Staying up all night studying, or waking up early to cram for a test is just the beginning of life. We aren’t even one third of the way through with our lives, this is just the beginning. When we grow older, we might stay up all night preparing for a meeting the next day. Some of us will have babies, which will most likely keep us up most of the night. Some of us will work the third shift for a living, which yeah, our body will adapt to it, but it won’t be easy at first. If you don’t already, we will soon worry about real bills, home maintenance repairs, and what groceries to buy (I don’t think the Little Debbie cakes I eat as a meal will suffice for forever). My point is, why spend this amazing time of our lives, being sad? Why would you choose to be sad?

I understand that traumatic instances happen. I’m not saying you can’t be sad, because you can. I sure am some days. Some days we don’t chose to be sad, it just happens. I really think what matters is the way you handle being sad. Screaming and crying feels really good sometimes. Sometimes it’s what we need to do, to cope.

There comes a time, when the sadness passes. At that point you have a choice. You can continue to mope and be sad, or you can choose to be happy. You can choose to live your best life. You don’t have to be sad. Play happy songs, turn off the Sam Smith. Play the songs that bring you joy rather than sadness.

If you can help it, choose to be happy. Choose to get up every morning, ignore your snooze button, and conquer your day. Choose that second cup of coffee if you need it, chose to do the things that make you happy.

First, figure out what makes you happy. Do more of those things. Second, be okay with what is making you sad. Come to peace with it. Do what you have to do to move past it. It’s not a bad life, it’s just a bad day. Lastly, Continue your happiness. Spread it around to those who need it. Trust me, being the “happy friend” is a lot easier than being the sad one. If your friend is down, cheer them up. Compliment strangers. Take matters into your own hands. Your happiness isn’t in the hands of anyone else. It’s all yours, own it.

Choose to be happy, choose to live your best life. Happiness always come back around to those who want it to.