I'm The Happiest I've Ever Been For These 5 Reasons

There are really positive changes I have made in my life, and they've caused me to feel so much better about myself.

515
Kayla Huynh

This year has been one of the best of my life. And upon reflection, I am the happiest I have ever been in a long time.

I constantly find myself feeling giddy and smiling, and others have recognized this too.

It's not hard to reach within myself and find where all of this profound happiness comes from. Ultimately, there are really positive changes I have made in my life within the past year, and they've caused me to feel so much better about myself.

1. I've cut toxic people out of my life

I've learned to let go of people who I realized didn't actually care about me. And instead, I've surrounded myself with amazing people who constantly lift me up and support me. I think this is key to where my happiness comes from.

2. I'm doing more of what I love to do

I've found new hobbies and have focused my time and energy on them. I've learned what I am truly passionate about, and it has really occupied my time. Now, I spend less time worrying and more time doing what I love.

3. I care less about what others think of me

I used to be so consumed by what others think of me. For so long, I let anxiety get the best of me. I've learned to channel a no-fucks-given attitude, and I am finally confident in myself.

4. I learned how to be OK with being alone

In the past, I've been so dependent on others for my happiness. I realize now that you don't need anyone else to be happy — and it's really OK to be alone sometimes. By adding more time in my day devoted just to myself, I've figured out my own wants and needs, as well as given myself opportunities for some serious self-reflection.

5. I worry way less about the uncertainty of the future

I know how uncertain the future is, but I've tried to stop stressing so much about what comes next. I'm happier now because I know that everything will be OK in the future — no matter what happens.

This year has truly been an amazing journey for me, and I know if I continue to follow these principles, I'll always be happy.