Hands Off The Bump

Hands Off The Bump

A Pregnant Momma's Plea

4
Hands Off The Bump

It can't possibly be just me that has encountered the issue of complete strangers trying to touch your pregnant belly. It's funny, for some reason, the bigger my belly seemed to get when I was pregnant with both my daughters, the bigger there seemed to be a sign strapped to my stomach saying "please rub here". If you're anything like myself, it makes you totally, 100%, uncomfortable having complete strangers try to touch or rub your stomach. News flash people, just because there is a baby in there, doesn't make it not MY belly and quite frankly I don't want you touching it. My belly isn't the baby and quite honestly you shouldn't be touching a complete strangers baby anyways!

I can remember two very specific incidences that left me completely frazzled and creeped out during my pregnancy days. The first was with my first daughter and the absolute worst. I was grocery shopping with my husband and he went off to go pick up something I had forgotten a couple aisles back. There I was just minding my own, trying to pick out the best-looking bananas of the bunch, when I noticed on the other side of the cart was a boy (about the age of 17 I'd say) approaching me muttering under his breath repeatedly "belly, belly, can I touch your belly?" Completely stunned by the situation, I kindly replied, "No I'm sorry, I'd rather you didn't." Thinking the situation was put to an end right then and there was my mistake, suddenly he starts slowly backing me up with his hands out muttering "but I want to touch the baby." At this point I was ready to whip out my handy dandy pepper spray; I must have looked distressed at the scene too because just across the aisle a woman and her daughter were standing at the deli and the mother was just about to come intervene in my defense. Luckily my husband coming back to the cart saved the day, the boy took off the second he saw him, but needless to say, I did not let my hubby leave my side ever again. My second situation was with my second daughter and not at all as traumatic as my first; just a boy of at least 15 years of age constantly bending down to my stomach yelling "Hi Baby" and waving every chance he got. I swear I always have the weirdest people drawn to me while I'm expecting.

I have always been fine with my family and friends trying to feel the baby kick or wiggle around, most even ask before doing it out of courtesy. However, having complete strangers come and violate my personal space is more than just annoying, it's rude! On behalf of myself and the rest of the pregnant community, I ask just one thing, please be considerate. Do not touch before asking and certainly respect if they tell you no. Pregnancy is supposed to be a wonderful and beautiful time, not a time for women to dodge complete weirdos everywhere they go.