Be the Queen of Your Workplace

Be the Queen of Your Workplace

10 Steps To Keep It Together

33
Be the Queen of Your Workplace
Have You Nerd

Now that we're halfway through with summer (OMG HOW?!), you've settled in to your summer internship, job, class, or back at home at your favorite job you worked in high school. In every office setting, it's hard to like everyone, so what in the world are you supposed to do when you have to work around people that aren't your favorite? Act like the queen you are.

1. Have your diva moment.

We all get the urge, and we all need to just do it. Get your Starbucks/Dunkin morning fix and passive-aggresively subtweet for a moment. If you get it out now, you can be an adult later.

2. Find your allies.

Know who you can vent to, who can update you when you have meetings out of the office, etc. You have to know who's got your back. These are the people that will not judge you for getting (yet) another coffee before your afternoon break, the people who remind you there's no Netflix in jail, and that there's really no moment in which violence is truly the answer. Rely on these people in your weakest moments.

3. Start making to do lists.

Not only for yourself but for everyone else. If you make enough to do lists, then people cannot ignore them. If you break down the lists as clearly as possibly, then there's less of a likelihood that something will fall through the cracks.

4. Create efficient schedules for those who cannot.

Some people just don't understand what calendars are, how they work, or how to keep up with them. Google has this awesome online calendar. You (the person afflicted by the acquaintance's lack of self-control skills) can invite said person to events using the GCalendar. What most don't know is that you can set up events that involve the person, and create reminders for them. What better way to get your lackluster friend involved?

5. Apply post-it notes at your descretion.

The only thing better than timed reminders directly to someone's cell phone is with color-coordinated sticky papers that can be posted in the most annoying places. Post Its are some of the must frustrating things if you don't want to do what they say on them, but are glorifying to spread your message.

6. Email everything.

Get it all in writing. Every little reminder, every question, and without a doubt you will prevail. Always remember to be the nicest person you can possibly be when you send an email. The nasty ones always end up as screenshots on twitter.

7. Have a positive attitude.

No one likes a negative Nancy, so be a positive Penelope to the point where people can't stand to be away from you. Be more positive than your run-of-the-mill summer camp counselor. You've gotta git 'er done, and only a positive attitude can really seal the deal.

8. Remember that everyone is a human being that deserves respect.

Each person is kind, each is smart (in their own way), and each one is surprisingly more important than you make them out to be. Even when people really drive you crazy, remember you are probably just as annoying.

9. Reignite your "why".

You're at your job for a reason, and if you remember those reasons often enough, you'll either be very satisfied or you'll change jobs.

10. TREAT YO SELF.

Do what you need to do. Get a manicure, lay out at the pool, and relax. You deserve it. You did your job, and you're also doing someone else's job! You are the queen you wanted to be. Congratulations!