Bring Back The Art Of The Hand-Written Letter
Social Life

Instead of moving forward in communication lets go back.

59

Now a day when you think about communicating with another person, texting, calling and emailing may pop up in your head on ways to do so. Though there is another way to communicate with others which is a handwritten letter. Yes, this is actually a way of communication that cost you money as you have to pay for the shipping but when you really think the other mediums cost money to send also.

You would have to pay at least $20 a month for phone or internet to get email, text or call which is way more expensive than a letter which is less than a dollar to send.

And it wasn't till last week when I was writing my aunt a hand-written letter that I really noticed how far we have progressed and evolved in communication. As I was writing I had to google search how to properly format the beginning of the letter. Then when I was finished with writing the letter and having to fill out the information on the envelope, I realized that I didn't know where to place the stamp because unlike greeting cards it doesn't have a box marking where to place the stamp so another google search occurred.

Maybe if we lived in a world where communication wasn't at our fingertips there may not have been a need for the google searches about a handwritten letter and sending them.

Don't get me wrong though I think the evolution of communication on the ability to send and receive information is great. But there always going to be something nostalgic and amazing about a hand-written letter. It could possibly be that you know that person had to take a certain amount of time out of their day to send the letter to you from either getting stamps to actually posting it in the mail. Another way of thinking about it though is that if you didn't mean something to the person sending the letter or they didn't mean something to you a quicker way of communication would have occurred or it would have been typed and posted in the mail.

So, let's maybe all take the time this year and write a letter to a loved one or a friend that may not live close by. Experience the feeling that the letter can bring to both you and the receiver because honestly nothing can compare to the what you feel after finish writing after your hand cramping or going to your mailbox and seeing a white envelope with your name written.