Halloween Movie Takeover

Halloween Movie Takeover

Time for apple cider, pumpkin carving and halloween decorations galore.

38
Halloween Movie Takeover
Tumblr.com

If you're anything like me you began costume planning in April, you played Halloween themed music on October 1st, made a list of your favorite spooky movies, etc. So here's the actually scary, the childhood favorites and everything in between.

1) Hocus Pocus (1993)
Kathy Najimy, Better Midler, and Sarah Jessica Parker are the hilariously wicked trio who make this classic. Bette Midler's rendition of 'I Put A Spell On You' will forever be one of my favorite halloween songs.

2) Insidious (2010)
James Wan does a horribly good job of giving the best jump scares. If one isn't enough for you there are sequels, and even a prequel, of this to fill your weekends leading up to Halloween.

3) Young Frankenstein (1974)
A screenplay by Mel Brooks with Gene Wilder as the lead? Pure genius. Peter Boyle as Dr. Frederick Frankenstein's creature is hysterical and Marty Feldman's Igor (pronounced "Eye-gor") perfectly rounds out this Halloween comedy.

4) The Rocky Horror Picture Show (1975)
This cult classic is a must during Halloween. I have a hard time not singing (horribly) and dancing (obnoxiously) while watching Tim Curry amaze as Dr. Frank N. Furter. This year, on October 20th, Fox will premiere it's new adaptation of this with Laverne Cox as the lead. Let's see if it lives up to the original.

5) Hush (2016)
A new favorite of mine. Don't know that I would count this as much horror as absolute suspense. Our main character is introduced as a young, deaf author. This ends up being the thing that both helps and hurts her throughout this psychological thriller.

6) The Legend of Sleepy Hollow (1949)
This is the staple to every single Halloween. As a child I use to sit under the covers, peeking one eye out as the headless horseman came for Ichabod Crane. Thanks to Bing Crosby's soothing voice narrating this film, my fears were somewhat stabilized. A great, and fun, film to watch during pumpkin carving.

7) Edward Scissorhands (1990)
With an all star cast, this one always pulls at my heart strings. Tim Burton's direction in this film helps to show that good vs. evil isn't always what it seems to be.

8) Would You Rather (2012)
Prior to Brittany Snow having horrible node problems in Pitch Perfect, she was sitting roundtable playing the scariest game of "would you rather" I've ever seen. Much to my surprise, this movie had me at the edge of my seat wondering who would end up the winner of the game.

9) Practical Magic (1998)
Not so much scary as a fun movie showcasing a very young Nicole Kidman and Sandra Bullock. Throw in a little bit of Stockard Channing and Dianne Weist as their witchy aunts and you've got yourself a perfect movie to watch while drinking apple cider and eating some pumpkin pie.

10) The Shining (1980)
Jack Nicholson will forever be one of my top favorite "villains." His ad-libbed line "Here's Johnny!" will always send chills up my spine. Easily one of my favorite horror movies, though I could do without the bloody twins.

11) Corpse Bride (2005)
Tim Burton, alongside with Mike Johnson, direct this movie that brings the underworld to life when the main characters, voiced by Johnny Depp and Emily Watson, have their plans fall apart. Through a few odd twists and turns in the storyline, Helena Bonham Carter's corpse bride character is able to make everything work out. A very cute, semi dark, movie.

12) The Addams Family (1990)
Another Halloween favorite that is a must every year. Anjelica Huston as Morticia is perfection, and her other half Gomez, the late Raul Julia, couldn't be better. The hilarious banter between the family and those who aren't privy to their spooky way of life make me chuckle every single time.