Hair Care Products You'll Need for College

24
Unsplash Valerie Elash

With the first day of school quickly approaching, it’s important to stock up on proper hair care products before moving into your new dorm. Testing out different products and brands at the store may be fun, but it’s not very cost-efficient. Use this tried-and-tested starter pack of products to stay stylish on campus.

1. Leave-In Conditioner

While this may seem like an unnecessary extra step if you are conditioning in the shower, leave-in conditioner makes it easier to detangle and comb your hair, which saves time. It can also act as a primer for other styling products. I apply before blow drying to help protect from heat, and because it gives my hair a nice shine. When living in the dorms, it may not be convenient to shower every morning. Start transitioning your hair care routine to your dorm room.

2. Reliable Bristled Brush

A good bristled brush is all you need to create the perfect ponytail. And trust me, you'll wear it often. After a late night out with friends, or maybe an all-nighter studying. It's easy to find something reliable that won't break the bank. Look for a mixture of natural boar bristles and nylon.

3. Salon-Quality Blow Dryer

A quality blow dryer is worth the investment. A well-made, powerful hair dryer cuts drying time in half and it gives you that professional blowout look. When deciding on a blow dryer, look for something quiet and light so you don’t disturb your roommates.

4. Versatile Flat Iron

Even if you don't straighten your hair every day, a flat iron is handy to have around. It can help standardize your hairstyle in an unpredictable climate, even if it’s humid outside. It can also smooth out your hairline or, when done right, add volume and curls to your hair.

5. Dry Shampoo

Washing your hair every day strips away skin sebum, which is your body's natural conditioner. Try every other day, or even three times a week. This is where dry shampoo comes in handy — it keeps your hair softer, shinier and healthier in the long run too. Different scalps react better with different products because some are naturally more oily than others. Find a brand that will help you rid the oil and keep the volume.

6. A Curling Iron

Even if you don’t have naturally curly hair, sometimes it’s nice to shake things up a bit with some waves. That’s what makes a quality curling iron a must. I've always used one that has removable heads so you can buy one iron and have a variety in curl size. If you don't like that idea, a 1-inch or 1 1/2-inch is the most versatile size.

7. Your Favorite Shampoo and Conditioner

This should be an easy decision. We all have our favorite brand of shampoo and conditioner. But that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t try something new. For the first week, bring in your own shampoo and conditioner, but don’t be afraid to ask some girls to sample theirs. Maybe you'll find something you like even better! If you're the shy type, pick up some samples from Walmart or Sally's and figure out what you like. For my fine hair ladies, try using a moisturizing shampoo and skipping conditioner, though.